It’s so necessary to get away from it all every now and then.
Away from the daily demands of work and home.
Away from routine.
Away from the familiar.
We’ve been hanging out in Palm Springs for Easter and for my birthday (25, again) enjoying a nice dose of relaxation.
Yesterday’s adventure was the Sky Tram — a huge gondola that takes you from 90 degree base of the mountain to a 50 degree snow capped top in the span of 10 minutes. Pretty cool.
Today we are headed to the Living Desert Zoo for a few hours and then back to the resort pool.
Yes, taking a break from the ordinary can be a very, very good idea.
These muffins are a break from the ordinary grain-free, sugar-free fare. You don’t have to ruin your diet to enjoy a big fluffy, fiber-packed muffin.
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds plus 3 Tablespoons filtered water
- 5 cups almond meal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 omega 3, free range eggs
- 2 Tablespoons raw honey, melted
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoon apple cinder vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 1 cup carrots, grated
- 1 apple, grated
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, chopped
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted – divided
- 1/4 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Generously grease a muffin tin with coconut oil. Set aside.
- In a small cup combine the chia seeds and water. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Mix the almond meal, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, honey, coconut oil, vinegar, extracts, apple sauce, and chia seed gel.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Add the carrots, apple, pineapple and 1/2 cup of the walnuts. Do not over mix.
- Fill each greased muffin tin with a generous amount of batter. Form a rounded muffin top for each one, then press toasted walnuts and shredded coconut onto each top.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 209 calories, 16g fat, 102mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, and 8g protein