This is officially my new favorite rice recipe. The combination of shredded cauliflower, tender lentils, fresh herbs and tangy pomegranate seeds is both light and satisfying. The addition of lentils gives it depth of flavor and heartiness that you don’t find in most cauliflower rice recipes.
There’s really no need for traditional grain rice when you have a recipe like this. I am going to be serving this Cauliflower Rice with Lentils and Pomegranate with my holiday meal this year – and with many other dinners. It pairs beautifully with Moroccan Spiced Chicken and Squash.
- ½ cup lentils
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons broth (chicken, beef or veggie)
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds (arils)
- ¼ cup scallions, greens only, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to boil and cook the lentils until just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Chop the cauliflower and run through a food processor with the grating attachment.
- Place a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the coconut oil and, once melted, add the shredded cauliflower. Cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Add the broth and the lentils and continue to cook for another 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Off heat, stir in the remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!