This recipe is a really lightened up replacement for mashed potatoes, with the enhanced flavors of garlic and kale. While I can’t promise that your kids will love it – mine were not impressed – I can tell you that when I served this for dinner all of the adults in the group went for seconds!
It’s incredibly quick and simple to throw this side dish together, and there are many ways in which the flavor could be tweaked and adjusted to your liking. I’m definitely going to play around with more versions of mashed cauliflower, now that I’ve had a taste of it with this recipe. As for making it more kid-friendly, taking out the kale would make the color much closer to that of traditional mashed potatoes and I believe would instantly make it more acceptable to the kiddos.
This recipe for Whipped Sweet Potatoes is another delicious alternative to traditional mashed potatoes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- Separate the cauliflower into florets and chop the stem. Stem the kale and chop the leaves.
- Add the cauliflower and garlic to the boiling water for 8 minutes. Stir in the kale and continue to boil for 5 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
- Place the drained cauliflower, kale and garlic in a food processor along with the remaining ingredients. Pulse until a creamy consistency is reached.
- Taste for salt and add more as needed. Enjoy!