Bring on the cold weather, we’ve got just the soup to curl up with on a chilly night! Too bad it’s still summer…lol! Canned mushroom soup has NOTHING on this comforting, earthy, homemade recipe.
I am a huge fan of putting many different textures and flavors into soup by adding highly nutritious ingredients. This soup starts with a base of 3 different types of mushrooms, and then we take it to the next level by adding minced, fresh kale. Quinoa and cauliflower rice add heartiness, and coconut milk provides creaminess.
This Wild Creamy Mushroom Soup gives you the feeling that you are eating a much heartier soup made with wild-grain rice and real cream, even though it is much lighter and kinder on your figure.
This is one soup that does reheat well, so certainly plan ahead by stocking your freezer with a few ready-to-reheat portions. I’m almost looking forward to the first sniffle of fall, so I can pull this soup out of the freezer for a comforting bowl!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 cups shitake mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups button mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups crimini mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 2 leeks, white part only, chopped
- 1 bunch curly kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup cauliflower rice
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 3½ cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 (13.66 oz) can coconut milk, unsweetened and full fat
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, minced
- In a medium soup pot, sauté the coconut oil, mushrooms, leeks and kale over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Add the quinoa, cauliflower rice and garlic. Continue to sauté until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add the coconut flour, stirring well to form a roux that will give the soup a lovely creamy texture. As the mixture thickens, continue cooking and stirring for 3 minutes.
- Pour in the broth and coconut milk. Use a whisk to blend the liquids into the roux. As the soup heats it will thicken. Once hot and smooth, stir in the salt and pepper and garnish with chives. Enjoy!