Simple easy-to-make grain-free tortillas are the holy grail of healthy eating. Once you have a stack of these in your fridge then your meal and snack possibilities are endless.
This recipe is an alternative to my original Coconut Flour Tortillas. There are a couple of main ways that these Oven Baked Tortillas differ from the Coconut Flour Tortillas. First, this version of grain-free tortilla turns out sturdier, and flat-bread like, whereas the Coconut Flour Tortillas are softer and more akin to crepes. So if you wanted to fold or roll something then you’d want the flexibility of the Coconut Flour Tortillas, but if you wanted to make a sturdy sandwich then use use the Oven Baked Tortillas. Second, this tortilla recipe is cooked in the oven, and requires less attention on your part, while the Coconut Flour Tortillas are cooked on a griddle one at a time.
Both versions of grain-free tortillas are delicious – try both and enjoy!
- ¾ cup water
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- ½ cup arrowroot starch
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 5 eggs, divided
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan combine the water, coconut oil, coconut cream, coconut sugar and sea salt over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Turn off the heat, add in the coconut flour, arrowroot starch and almond flour and stir the dough vigorously until it forms a ball and pulls away from the sides of the pot. Cook 1 minutes more. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Whisk one egg in a bowl and set aside. Add the remaining eggs into the dough, one at a time, until fully incorporated.
- Drop 2 Tablespoons of dough in rounds on the prepared baking sheet, and use your fingers to pat down the dough into your desired tortilla size. Brush whisked egg over top of tortillas. Bake for 8 minutes then reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for another 5 minutes, until cooked through and no longer moist.
- Transfer to a rack to cool. Save tortillas in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. Reheat the tortillas in a skillet until golden. Enjoy!