This tender, pomegranate-spiked chicken dish is an exotic way to eat healthy!
Pomegranate wine is the drink of choice for my Armenian in-laws, and this dish was my way of using a partially used bottle of the sweet, tangy wine the next day after they had visited. By adding in fresh pomegranate seeds the flavors really soar.
Enjoy over a bed of fresh greens or over some cauliflower rice. Yum!
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried majoram
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- dash of sea salt
- dash of black pepper
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup pomegranate wine
- 1 Lemon cut into 8 thin slices
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds (arils) plus more for garnish
- In a small bowl combine the coconut flour, thyme, sesame seeds, marjoram, oregano and red pepper flakes. In a large bowl toss the chicken thighs with the garlic and season with salt and pepper. Rub the coconut flour mixture into the chicken.
- In a 12-inch skillet with a tight-fitting lid, place the coconut oil over medium high heat. Add the chicken thighs, and sear on both sides, about 3 minutes each. Add the wine. Bring to a boil; reduce to low heat and simmer. Cover and cook, 30 minutes.
- Turn chicken over. Place a lemon slice on each piece; cover and continue simmering until tender, about 15 minutes. Leaving garlic and liquid in skillet, transfer chicken and lemon slices to a platter. Cover tightly with foil to keep warm.
- Bring liquid in skillet to a boil; add the pomegranate seeds and cook until reduced to ½ cup, about 15 minutes. Remove skillet from heat. Add parsley, and lemon juice; whisk until the sauce is smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Shred the chicken and mix into the sauce. Serve with Golden Cauliflower Rice. Enjoy!