With my very helpful six year old, Chloe, underfoot in my kitchen these days, I’m always coming up with recipes that she can assist with. Cookies are her favorite—she is a cookie-shaping champion. This recipe is extra fun because there is frosting to spread and nuts to sprinkle!
- Preheat the oven to 350 ̊F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the almond flour, 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt, baking soda, and cinnamon in a food processor. Pulse to combine. Add the palm shortening, honey, and 1 tablespoon vanilla extract. Pulse to form sticky dough.
- Shape the dough into 12 cookies. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 8 minutes, until golden.
- Soak the dates in hot water for 15 minutes. Drain.
- Combine the dates, remaining teaspoon vanilla, the water, coconut milk, and a pinch of salt in a food processor. Blend into a smooth frosting. This takes a while! If you can see pieces of date, then it’s not ready, so keep on blending.
- Once the cookies have cooled, frost and sprinkle with chopped pecans. Enjoy!