Yesterday we got our pesto on and today we are going to take said pesto to the next level by mixing it in with creamy goodness and tender noodles. Sound good?
I couldn’t hear you. Sound good?!?!?!
Yes, yes it does sound good! Because creamy, pesto-y pasta is the bomb. Now what’s really fantastic is how we can make this beloved dish without grains, gluten or dairy.
Really, it is possible and I am going to show you exactly how to do it.
Pesto: Here is the post where I share the recipe for Perfect Pesto – which is made with zero dairy, preservatives, additives or any other icky stuff. Our Creamy Pesto Pasta starts with a batch of fresh made Perfect Pesto. (Lucky for us this pesto is made in 10 mins flat.)
Creamy Sauce: Most creamy pasta sauce is made with dairy-based cream. I’ve found, however, that using canned coconut milk works just as good for creamy dressings – without the downside of dairy (goodbye bloating!) so we can enjoy our creamy sauce and feel svelte too.
Noodles: Now there are many, many ways to make noodles out of vegetables. Here’s a post were I list a bunch of methods. And you’re welcome to use any veggie noodle that you please with this awesome creamy pesto sauce, HOWEVER, I do recommend these simple zucchini noodles made with a simple veggie peeler. There’s something about large, flat noodles that seems to go best with creamy sauce, in my opinion.
Make this dish a complete meal by adding meatballs or simple grilled chicken. Enjoy and let me know how you liked it!
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 Tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 (13.66oz) can coconut milk, full fat
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- ⅓ cup Perfect Pesto
- 6 zucchini
- In a large skillet, melt the coconut oil over medium heat. Whisk in the coconut flour and continue to whisk until browned. Add the coconut milk, nutritional yeast, and pesto. Whisk frequently until the sauce begins to boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and continue whisking for 5 minutes, as the sauce thickens. Remove from heat.
- Wash the zucchini and pat dry. Use a veggie peeler to remove the green skin. Run the veggie peeler from the top of the zucchini all the way to the bottom to create long, flat noodles. Repeat with the remaining zucchini.
- Toss the noodles with the creamy pesto sauce and serve immediately. Enjoy!