Ginger Snap Cookies

Just because you’ve decided to eat healthy by cutting out grains, gluten and refined sugar doesn’t mean that you’re content to a life lived without home baked cookies. It’s just that now you expect more from your cookies – you expect wholesome nutrition in addition to satisfying, craveable flavor.  And I support you!

These Gingersnaps are so authentic that you’ll have to remind yourself that it’s made with completely guilt-free ingredients. Make tons and store ’em in your freezer for on-the-fly deliciousness.

I’m going to come clean with you: It took me a couple of times to get this recipe right. I’ve gotten pretty good at coming up with grain-free recipes that are great on the first try, but these tricky little Gingersnaps made me work for it!

It was completely worth the persistence, though, because these little cookies pack some serious ginger flavor.

Keep in mind that the dough really expands while baking, which is why you’ll need to space the cookies at least three inches apart on the baking sheet. Don’t flatten out the balls when you put them on the pan, either. Let them expand naturally in the baking process and enjoy the pretty cracks that come as a result.

I’ll show you how in the video below…

Ginger Snap Cookies

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Place the pecans in a dry skillet over medium heat and toast, stirring often, for 5 minutes until golden. Remove from heat and cool.
  3. In a food processor pulse the pecans until finely ground. Add the coconut flour, almond flour, arrowroot, baking soda, salt, ginger, cardamom, pepper, oil, cream, ¾ cup sugar, molasses and egg. Pulse until fully combined.
  4. Gather the dough into a ball, wrap with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 20 minutes.
  5. Place the remaining coconut sugar in a bowl. Roll the dough into 1 Tablespoon scoops and roll in the sugar. Place on the prepared baking sheet 3 inches apart do not press the dough down. Bake for 8-12 minutes until golden. Enjoy!

Calories: 90     Fat: 6     Carbohydrates: 9     Sugar: 6     Sodium: 88     Fiber: 1     Protein: 1

Comments

• youngbaker2002 May 19, 2016 at 5:25 pm

Yay! A video! I love your videos and the cookies look awesome Diana! Thank you so much for another great recipe. I use your cookbook all the time and everything always taste sooo good! You can tell that you really put your heart into developing recipes and testing them.
    Ps. Are you working on another cookbook yet?

• Diana May 20, 2016 at 5:45 pm

Thank you so much! Yes, my new cookbook will be in stores this December 🙂

• youngbaker2002 May 23, 2016 at 6:47 pm

Oh wow that’s great! So exciting!

• Foodie May 27, 2016 at 12:35 pm

Look sooo delicious and nutritious! Last years I’m doing my best to living a healthier life. I eat and cook reasonable but sometimes my body just crave for something sweet! Thanks for that recipe. That would be the way to give myself a treat.

• Diana May 27, 2016 at 3:47 pm

I also enjoy the occasional wholesome sweet treat! Thanks for your comment and I hope you enjoy the cookies!

• Lori Smanski May 27, 2016 at 6:08 pm

Oh these look wonderful. I make cookies for my husband, but I will be making these for myself. What is coconut cream? And do you think I can substitute honey for molasses?

• Lori Smanski May 27, 2016 at 6:25 pm

I found your way of having coconut cream, thanks

• Diana May 27, 2016 at 7:31 pm

Hi Lori,
      Thanks for your comment! Molasses adds quite a note of flavor in gingersnaps, so if you subbed with honey the cookies would be sweet but would be lacking the depth of flavor. You could certainly try it and see if you enjoy the flavor with honey rather than molasses. Enjoy!

• Holly Lewis May 27, 2016 at 9:15 pm

Hey Diana…was wondering what would happen, and how to compensate, if I were to try to use maple syrup or honey instead of the coconut palm sugar. Your thoughts? Thanks for what you do….love your stuff!!

• Diana May 28, 2016 at 12:28 am

Hi Holly,
      Great question! Often times it’s completely fine to sub in honey or maple syrup for coconut palm sugar, however in this recipe I think that it would adversely affect the consistency of the dough and the shape of the cookies. If you simply must do a sub then I would suggest only using 1/4 cup of the honey or maple syrup to replace the 3/4 cup coconut sugar. It won’t be a sweet but would have a chance of still sticking together in a nice shape! Enjoy

• Lori Palazzo August 11, 2016 at 10:29 pm

Dianne,
    With the price of cardamon so high is there something else I can substitute for it in the recipe. Really appreciate all the time and effort you put in to remaking classic recipes that are not only healthy but taste great too!

• Diana August 15, 2016 at 5:18 pm

Hi Lori,

I’m so glad you’re enjoying the recipes. Here’s a Cardamom replacement I found online. You may want to play with the ratios until you’re happy with the taste. Enjoy! 🙂

“Mix together equal parts cinnamon and nutmeg, and use in place of the cardamom called for in your recipe.
      Out of nutmeg? Then, try equal parts cinnamon and ginger or equal parts cinnamon and ground cloves instead.”