It happened this year. We were hit by the flu 🙁
First the kids came home from school with fevers, which turned into a few days of staying home in bed and a whole weekend of staying in their pjs. Then I got it, thankfully once the kids were recovered, and it got me down for a few days. And then B got it, and boy did he get it the worst. He’s on day 10 and still fighting off a cough. Wheeew, the flu sure is an ordeal!
While we were in the midst of it I came up with this recipe for Cream of Chicken Soup which cooks in the slow cooker and provides comforting nourishment for days on end. It’s filled with fresh veggies, cauliflower rice, some quinoa and wholesome chicken breast. The perfect ingredients to bolster your immune system.
I hope you can avoid getting sick this flu and cold season, but if you find yourself fighting something off then give this soup a try. Enjoy!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup fresh white mushrooms, diced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1.5 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped into ½ inch cubes
- 1 head cauliflower, shredded
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried sage
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1 (13.66oz) can coconut milk
- 1 Tablespoon arrowroot starch
- In a medium skillet place the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, sauté for 5 minutes until tender. Add the diced mushrooms and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes. Transfer the tender veggie to a large slow cooker.
- Add the carrots, chicken, shredded cauliflower, quinoa, oregano, sage, pepper, sea salt, thyme, bay leaf and broth to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and place on low heat for 7 hours.
- At the end of the cook time, combine the coconut milk and arrowroot by whisking with a fork. Remove the thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Stir the coconut milk mixture into the slow cooker and increase the slow cooker to high cook for 20 minutes. Serve and enjoy!