Some days you need a snack that’s quick and ready to be eaten on-the-go. As an inhabitant of our fast-paced world it’s inevitable that you’ll sometimes find yourself in need of instant food. But that’s where things get tricky…and big food mistakes are made that could potentially leave you on the crowded path to weight gain and self loathing.
Most packaged protein bars are laced with chemicals, fillers, and artificial ingredients. Quite frankly, most protein bars that you purchase at the store are hardly any better for you than a packaged vending machine snack. Sad but true 🙁
There is a brand that I’ve found and purchased, specifically for B to pack in his bag during trips, that is made with wholesome ingredients and without harmful ones. It’s called the Paleo Coconut Shred Bar, by Julian Bakery. It’s made with egg white protein, sunflower seeds, unsweetened shredded coconut, coconut oil, water, vanilla, sea salt and stevia. Pretty darn healthy, and made fresh.
We purchased a box from Amazon and B really enjoyed keeping a few in his backpack during long days at the office and while traveling. Before we knew it the box was empty and it we were hooked. I went to reorder and noticed that Amazon no longer carried it and the only other site that did was charging $40 + shipping for 12 measly bars. It came out to over $4/bar! I had to draw the line there.
Since the ingredients were so simple and wholesome, hacking it was just a matter of figuring out what quantities to use. I gave it a try and eagerly presented B with one of my Coconut Shred Protein Bars…he took one bite and said it tasted just like the real thing!
The main difference is that it’s important to keep the homemade version in the fridge to keep it from getting too soft – coconut oil hardens when cold, so when the bars are chilled they become really firm. Also I cut some into regular sized protein bars and some of it into little bite-sized strips, since sometimes I just want a little bite of something to quiet hunger while I work. Give it a try! Enjoy 🙂
- 2 ½ cups unsweetened, shredded coconut
- ½ cup water
- 2 packets stevia
- ¾ cup coconut oil (plus more as needed)
- ½ cup plus 2 Tablespoons Tahini
- 2 cups vanilla flavored egg white protein powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- juice and zest from a lemon
- Line an 11″x7″ baking pan with parchment paper. Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor, pulsing until fully combined.
- If the mixture is crumbly, transfer to a large mixing bowl and add more coconut oil, 1 Tablespoon at a time, working it into the mixture with your hands until it holds together. Press the mixture into the prepared pan and chill for 20 minutes. Cut into 1″x3″ bars. Keep your bars stored in the fridge – this helps keep it solid and also prolongs the freshness. Enjoy!