Who doesn’t love pumpkin this time of year? It’s impossible to avoid now that Starbucks, and other coffee shops, have brought back their pumpkin flavored drinks. Never mind that it was 105 degrees F yesterday. On Wednesday (in just two days!) we will have the first official day of fall, so buckle up and get ready for even more fall-themed recipes 🙂 And cross your fingers that the weather cools off enough to pull on a pair of boots and a cozy cardigan…
Here’s a seasonal spin on my popular Grain-Free Hot Cereal recipe…using our ingredient of the hour: Pumpkin. It’s a warm and creamy dish that pairs fantastically with a steaming hot cup of coffee. Give it a try – this may end up being your favorite fall breakfast. Enjoy!
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1⁄4 cup raw walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1⁄2 cup golden flax meal
- 1 tablespoon milled chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cloves, ground allspice and ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup pumpkin puree
- Optional toppings: chopped apple, raisins, sliced almonds, ground cinnamon, coconut palm sugar and sea salt
- Set a kettle to boil the water. Combine the pepitas, walnuts, coconut, flax, chia, coconut palm sugar, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, ginger and sea salt in a high-speed blender. Blend until a fine powder forms.
- Slowly pour in the boiling water. Add the pumpkin puree and continue to blend until smooth. Pour into individual serving bowls.
- Gather the toppings of your liking. Sprinkle on top of the warm hot cereal. If you’re feeling a little crazy, douse your hot cereal with chilled coconut milk and a sprinkle of coconut palm sugar. That’s what I do. Enjoy!