There are few meals more comforting than those built around a hearty, homemade spaghetti meat sauce. There’s nothing quite like the aroma that fills the kitchen while the sauce simmers, the mingled flavors of garlic, onion, basil and tomato, and that satisfied feeling of a filled belly.
I’ve certainly created my fair share of spaghetti sauce recipes…
- Quick Weeknight Spaghetti: this one utilizes a jar of organic spaghetti sauce to speed things along – served over zucchini noodles.
- Slow Cooker Spaghetti: this one cooks all day in the slow cooker while you go about your business – served over zucchini noodles.
- Slow Cooker Sauce with Meatballs: this one is also done in the slow cooker, and has juicy meatballs – served over spaghetti squash.
- Classic Meat Sauce: this one is hearty, with beef, sausage and lots of spices – served over butternut squash noodles.
…and today we embark on another one – with a twist! While traditional spaghetti recipes are served over a plate of starchy noodles, and my spaghetti recipes have always been served over one form of vegetable noodle or another, but today I’d like to present you with a whole new platform to serve yummy spaghetti sauce on…a humble avocado half.
The creaminess of the avocado pairs so nicely with the warmth and heartiness of the sauce. And we don’t have to worry about a pile of carb-filled noodles, or bother to create veggie noodles for this one. Also this sauce is made with 100% fresh ingredients – garden fresh tomatoes! – with nothing from a can or a jar. Delish! Enjoy!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 4 tomatoes, chopped and peeled
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons coconut palm sugar
- ¼ cup white wine
- 4 large green-skinned avocados
- In a large pot brown the beef over medium-high heat until all the pink is gone. Drain off the juices and transfer the browned beef to a plate.
- Wipe out the pot, return to medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the onions and garlic cloves and cook for 3 minutes. Add the basil, tomatoes and mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and coconut sugar. Cook for 3 minutes. Add the wine and ground beef and simmer for about 40 minutes, until the sauce has thickened.
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pits. Use an ice cream scooper to place a mound of sauce inside each avocado half. Sprinkle with sweet paprika, garlic powder and sea salt, if desired. Enjoy!