Don’t these look divine? Yep they taste divine too 😉
There were a few years of my life, in my late 20’s, when I was infatuated with raw vegan cuisine. I loved the philosophy behind eating a diet of nutrient-packed produce and was intrigued by the interesting recipes.
And so (like so many things in my life) I dove in with both feet.
My kitchen was filled with raw vegan ingredients and my counters piled with stacks of raw vegan cookbooks. The recipes were flavorful and filled with fiber and nutrients. Even B and the kids got in on the action. I committed to a full 30 days of purely raw vegan food and stuck with it.
While the food was delicious it was so very time consuming. My family began to miss hot meals and meat and so I filed those raw vegan cookbooks toward the back of the shelf. It was an interesting phase that made a lasting impact on my culinary point of view. Components that I learned while eating raw vegan continue to pop up into my recipes today. It has especially helped in eliminating dairy from recipes that would normally use it.
Like these pretty and delicious Cheesecake Bites! No cheese here, just soaked and creamed cashews! Even if you like dairy these are worth giving a try. It’s fun to decorate the tops with pretty berries and mint leaves. Or you could top with some shaved chocolate or minced dates. The possibilities are really endless 🙂
- 2 cups raw cashews
- ½ cup raw honey (or pure maple syrup)
- 2 Tablespoons + ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup dates, pitted
- 24 raspberries
- 24 mint leaves
- Place the cashews in a bowl and cover with warm water. Soak for 2 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Combine the almond flour, sea salt and dates in a food processor. Pulse until an even powder forms. Pour the coconut oil (2 Tablespoons) into the food processor. Pulse to create sticky dough.
- Line a 24 mini muffin pan with paper liners. Drop 1 Tablespoon of dough into each liner. Firmly press the dough down in each liner.
- Wipe out the food processor then add the cashews, honey, coconut oil (1/2 cup), vanilla extract and lemon juice. Blend until creamy and smooth. This can take awhile, so be patient! Go take a bath, read a book, run a marathon…
- Fill a piping bag with the cashew mixture. Top each crust with a generous serving of the cashew cream. Decorate with fresh raspberries and mint leaves. Chill for 20 minutes before serving. Enjoy!