Sometimes things simply don’t go as planned. It’s an unavoidable part of life – no matter how much we try, there will be days when nothing turns out like we want. My kids just learned the expression that when life gives you lemons, make some lemonade, which is precisely how this Fig Muffin recipe came to be…
I was all set to create a new recipe for Fig Cookies — with visions of grain-free Fig Newtons in my head. I came up with a batter recipe that I thought would make a wonderfully light and sweet cookie dough and eagerly went to the kitchen to get my cookie-making on. The batter did turn out delicious…but it was way too soft to roll out into the Fig Newton shape.
So I made some lemonade…or in this case some Fig Muffins! The batter was perfect for mini muffins, and the fig filling made the perfect addition to the middles. Yum, yum, yum!
And don’t worry, my second attempt at Fig Cookies came out perfectly 🙂
- 1 cup dried figs (7oz)
- ½ cup apple, shredded
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup apple juice
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut palm sugar (plus more to sprinkle)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Combine all of the filling ingredients in a small saucepan. Place over medium low heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes.
- Place the fig mixture in a food processor and pulse until well blended.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a mini muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl combine the eggs, coconut oil, coconut palm sugar and vanilla extract. Mix well until fully combined.
- In another bowl combine the blanched almond flour, baking soda and sea salt. Mix until fully combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and mix well.
- Fill each mini muffin tin with a Tablespoon of batter, topped with a teaspoon of fig filling, topped with another Tablespoon of batter. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with coconut palm sugar. Bake for 20 minutes or until the tops are golden. Enjoy!