If there was ever a time to be tempted by sweet, creamy ice cream it’s during the months of June, July and August. When the sun is bright, the air is hot and your mood is jovial, indulging in a frozen treat simply makes sense. This recipe is for just such a day.
While there is no actual ‘ice cream’ in these ice cream sandwiches, I think that you’ll be pleasantly surprised just how ice-cream-like frozen bananas taste. Especially when frozen on a stick, dipped in dark chocolate and stuffed with almond butter. Make a whole bunch and fill your freezer. And when you’re overcome by the urgent desire for ice cream, simply reach for one of these wholesome treats, smile and enjoy 🙂
I’ll take you through the step-by-step of this recipe below…so roll your sleeves up and let’s start dipping some bananas…
- ⅔ cup Almond Butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅔ cup dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 Bananas
- 8 wooden sticks
- Combine the almond butter, vanilla extract, almond extract, and ground cinnamon in a bowl. Mix well.
- Place the chocolate and coconut oil in a small saucepan. Place the saucepan in a skillet with 1 inch of water over medium heat. Stir often as the chocolate melts and becomes smooth. Remove from heat. Cool slightly.
- Peel the bananas. Cut in half lengthwise and crosswise. Rub the almond mixture on the cut side of each banana. Sandwich the halves together on top of a wooden stick. Place the banana sandwiches on a freezer safe tray lined with parchment paper. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Dip each frozen sandwich in the melted chocolate. Place back on the parchment paper and freeze for 10 additional minutes, until the chocolate is firm. Enjoy!