If there was ever a time to be tempted by sweet, creamy ice cream it’s during the months of June, July and August. When the sun is bright, the air is hot and your mood is jovial, indulging in a frozen treat simply makes sense. This recipe is for just such a day.
While there is no actual ‘ice cream’ in these ice cream sandwiches, I think that you’ll be pleasantly surprised just how ice-cream-like frozen bananas taste. Especially when frozen on a stick, dipped in dark chocolate and stuffed with almond butter. Make a whole bunch and fill your freezer. And when you’re overcome by the urgent desire for ice cream, simply reach for one of these wholesome treats, smile and enjoy 🙂
I’ll take you through the step-by-step of this recipe below…so roll your sleeves up and let’s start dipping some bananas…
- ⅔ cup almond butter
- 4 bananas
- 8 wooden skewers
- ⅔ cup unsweetened dark chocolate pieces
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 Tablespoon raw honey
- For more flavor, mix in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, ¼ teaspoon almond extract and ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon to the almond butter.
- For a sweeter chocolate coating, use dark chocolate pieces, rather than unsweetened chocolate pieces.
- For a fun topping, sprinkle chopped pecans or unsweetened, shredded coconut on the dipped bananas before freezing.
- Slice 4 bananas in half lengthwise and crosswise. Cover each sliced banana with the almond butter mixture, press a wooden skewer between two pieces of banana to create 8 sandwiches. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Over low heat, melt the chocolate, coconut oil and honey together. Dip each frozen sandwich in the melted chocolate until fully coated. Return to the freezer for 10 minutes. Enjoy!