LaLa’s Cinnamon Crumb Cake

Gluten free cinnamon crumb cake

Here’s a little slice of gluten-free Cinnamon Crumb Cake heaven :)

Have you ever eaten a slice of Entemann’s Cinnamon Coffee Cake? It’s sold in those pretty white boxes with swirly blue writing and a nice big picture window so you can see the scrumptious crumb topping. Many of us grew up on Entemann’s (I sure did!) and it’s one of those tough things to give up once going gluten and grain-free.

joel marion

Joel Marion and his sister, Laura.

My friend, Joel Marion – co-founder of BioTrust Nutrition, emailed me last week with a very special challenge: to hack the Entemann’s Cinnamon Coffee Cake recipe. His sister, Laura (her nieces call her ‘LaLa’), was a big fan of this particular coffee cake before going 100% gluten free. And now that she can’t eat it she literally dreams about having a coffee cake just like Entemann’s, minus the gluten.

I set off to the RHR Kitchen to conjure up a coffee cake that would cure Laura’s craving once and for all. With a few tries I came up with this moist, cinnamon-y cake that’s as close to Entemann’s as you can get without the grains, gluten, dairy, soy or cane sugar. Laura received a box of her very own LaLa’s Cinnamon Crumb Cake, and her coffee cake dreams came true!

Paleo cinnamon coffee cake

LaLa’s Cinnamon Crumb Cake

Dry Ingredients
Wet Ingredients
For the Crumb Topping:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease square 8×8 pan with coconut oil.
  2. Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. In another medium bowl combine all of the wet ingredients except egg whites.
  3. Mix the wet with dry and set aside.
  4. Beat the egg whites until firm peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
  5. Spread the batter into your prepared pan.
  6. Drop ⅓ of the crumb topping in even spoonfuls over the batter. Use a knife to run through all of the cinnamon spots, in both directions to create a swirl. Even out the top of the batter.
  7. Crumble the remaining cinnamon topping evenly over the top of the cake. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until fully set. To test, jiggle the pan, if the center of the cake moves then put it back in the oven for 5 minutes. If the top starts to get browned, and the center is still not done, then cover with foil and reduce the oven temperature to 325.

Calories: 356     Fat: 26 g     Carbohydrates: 24 g     Sugar: 15 g     Sodium: 103 mg     Fiber: 4 g     Protein: 8 g

Give this recipe a try and make your own Coffee Cake dreams come true 🙂 Let me know how you like it!

Comments

• Michelle February 13, 2015 at 2:56 pm

hmm. Sounds awesome. Anyway to make this without egg, too ?

• Diana February 19, 2015 at 8:34 pm

Hi Michelle,

To make this without egg I would suggest using 1 tablespoon of flax meal mixed with 3 tablespoons of water to replace 1 egg. Happy Cooking!

• Michelle February 20, 2015 at 1:21 pm

Thanks. But, would you use this flax egg as the wet ingredients or whip them to use in the place of the egg whites in the recipe ?

• Diana February 23, 2015 at 9:54 pm

Hi Michelle! There is no need to whip the flax, it won’t react like egg whites. Simply mix the flax in with the wet ingredients. Happy Cooking!

• Pam Maddock February 14, 2015 at 5:19 am

I’d love it if you’d include nutrition breakdowns on your recipes. I have to watch blood glucose. And sometimes overall calories can play a role as much as sugar in a recipe when my daily total is added up. I do love your tortillas. Although they do taste like crepes. I’d like to try this cake recipe.

• vanattac@icloud.com February 14, 2015 at 7:29 pm

I just made this exactly as you recommended, but I would have had to double the cake, and half the topping to get a good product like your picture. The taste is OK, but a little dry. Is it possible I don’t measure almond flour correctly? When I make your receipes, they never rise like yours do.

• Diana February 19, 2015 at 8:31 pm

Hi Vanattac, I’m so sorry to hear that your crumb cake didn’t turn out like mine. There are many factors that go into baking, from measuring to oven temperature. Here’s a post that I did to help with troubleshooting your baking: http://realhealthyrecipes.com/2013/02/22/what-went-wrong/. Happy Cooking!

• Isabella February 23, 2015 at 10:23 pm

This is so delicious! Everyone loved it and I can’t wait to make it again! Thank You for all the work you do that allows us to still eat yummy food even when gluten free!!! Keep these recipes coming!!!

• MaryAlice March 7, 2015 at 10:51 pm

I followed your recipe to a T and I got a flat dark brown cake not white and raised up like your picture. It is very dry and taste strange. I bought all the ingredients new for this recipe so nothing was old. You can’t tell where I poked the fork to allow the toping to go down into the cake because it is all the same dark brown like a brownie. How did you get a white cake and get it raised up so high.

• Suzy March 24, 2015 at 12:56 am

Hi Diana! My husband recently bought your book for me. I took it as a sign that he wants me to cook and bake healthier. I never was a fan of healthy eating, but your recipes opened my eyes to a new light. I saw that not everything healthy has to taste bad! Thank you SO much for all your time and effort you have put into publishing these amazing recipes!! Keep them coming!