I want my kids to develop a love for wholesome real food — vegetables, fruits, meat and spices — and to ultimately seek these foods out over the hyperprocessed packaged foods on their own accord.
I want them to love real food as much as I do.
Some days I feel like I’m making headway — when my daughter asks for avocado and my son adds sprinkles of cumin and paprika to his dinner — and other days it’s an uphill battle against school pizza parties and candy trades at lunch.
I believe that if I keep giving them wholesome meals at home, then these will be the foods they return to later in life.
TIME magazine just did a cover story by best selling food author, Mark Bittman, about How to Eat Now. The message Bittman gives is that we need to cook meals at home because, “It’s good for you, it’s good for your family and it’s far easier than you think.”
There was a time and place in many of our lives when most people ate together at home on most night of the week. I grew up in the 80’s and 90’s and remember home cooked meals nearly every night. There’s a definite correlation today between increased obesity (and obesity related disease) and our lack of home cooked family dinners.
Not only will simple, real food dinners improve our health and well being, reduce health care costs, insure our children’s long term health, it also doesn’t take as much time or cost as you may think. Stick with simple produce, meats and spices to create filling, comforting meals.
This taco recipe is one of our favorite family dinners. The kids love to build their own tacos and I love watching them enjoy real food. I made the video below to show you how easy it is to make. Enjoy!
- Preheat a medium sized, non-stick skillet over medium low heat.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a high speed blender and mix until smooth.
- Coat the skillet with coconut oil. Pour ⅓ cup of batter into the skillet in a large tortilla shape. Allow to cook until set, then flip to brown the other side. Repeat with all of the batter — should make 12 tortillas.
- 12 Real Healthy Tortillas<-- see recipe box above
- 2 lb grass fed ground beef
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoons sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Dash of sea salt
- Diced tomato
- Shredded lettuce
- Sliced olives
- Guacamole or chopped avocado
- Pico de gallo
- Make 12 Real Healthy Tortillas. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, brown the ground beef with all of the spices.
- Place the tortillas, ground beef and all the toppings on the table for a make-your-own-taco buffet! Enjoy!