With the kids back in school this week, my cooking has taken a decidedly autumn-themed turn. I have squash, soup and pumpkins on the brain.
If only the weather would get on the same page — it’s still hitting 100 degrees each day, waaaay too hot for the best things of fall (Uggs, sweaters and hot cups of coffee!)
This Stuffed Squash may just be the perfect meal — it’s loaded with protein, packed with fiber and brimming with flavor…what’s not to love? Also it really doesn’t take more than an hour to prepare, so it works for busy weeknights. Make the filling as your squash roasts and the whole thing will come together quickly. Enjoy!
- 3 Delicata squash (Butternut, Acorn or other similarly sized squash would also work great.)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- 1 Tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 (4oz) can mild green chiles, chopped
- Fresh chives, chopped (optional as garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Wash the squash and slice each in half, lengthwise. Scoop out all of the seeds. Place the squash halves, cut side up, on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 20-30 minutes, until tender. The roasting time will vary depending on the size of your squash — the bigger and thicker the squash the longer the roasting time will be.
- Place a large skillet over medium high heat and brown the ground beef. Drain the pan.
- Place the pan back over medium heat and add in the garlic, onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring often, until soft. Add in the remaining ingredients and continue to cook for 8 minutes.
- Fill each squash with a generous serving of the ground beef mixture. Top with fresh chopped chives if desired. Serve immediately. Enjoy!