BEST Paleo Donut Recipe

Real-Healthy-chocolate-glazed-donut copy

I dream about this donut…

Healthy donuts — what?!?!?!

Sounds like an oxymoron like comfortable heels or flattering sweatpants…healthy and donuts just don’t belong in the same sentence.

And yet…

What is it that makes most donuts such fat traps?

1) Most donuts are fried, which adds unhealthy fat and loads of extra calories. I solved this problem by baking my donuts in a donut pan.

2) Most donuts are made with refined white flour, which is an overload of simple carbs and gluten that spikes your blood sugar and primes your body for fat storage. I solved this problem by using almond flour, which is lower in carbs and is free of gluten.

3) Most donuts are filled with refined cane sugar and corn syrup, which overloads your system and pushes you into fat storage mode. I solved this problem by using just a touch of pure maple syrup, a wholesome sweetener that contains vitamins and minerals that your body needs, and releases slower into your system to prevent a major blood sugar spike.

Oh, and these healthy donuts taste just as good as any friend and sugar laden ones! Try for yourself…

So you can see that this recipe for BEST Paleo Donuts is actually quite a healthy alternative to traditional donuts. It’s usable, wholesome energy that will power your day.

Watch the video below to see how simple these tasty donuts are to make!

BEST Paleo Donut Recipe

Dry Ingredients
Wet Ingredients
Glaze Ingredients

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease your 6-mold donut pan with coconut oil.
  2. Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. In another medium bowl combine all of the wet ingredients except egg whites.
  3. Mix the wet with dry and set aside.
  4. Beat the egg whites until firm peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
  5. Equally distribute the batter between the 6 donut molds. Smooth out the tops of each donut. Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden.
  6. Allow the donuts to cool, remove from pan and then chill in the fridge for half an hour.
  7. For the Glaze: Fill a medium skillet with a few inches of water and place over medium-low heat. Place the glaze ingredients in a small saucepan and put the saucepan inside the skillet. Gently mix the ingredients until fully melted.
  8. Pour the melted chocolate into a shallow bowl. Dip each chilled donut in the chocolate, then immediately chill for 30 minutes until the glaze hardens.

Serving size: 1 Donut     Calories: 111     Fat: 8     Carbohydrates: 4     Sodium: 32     Fiber: 2     Protein: 4

Β

Comments

• Jineen March 24, 2014 at 11:21 pm

These look delicious! Question: Is there a way to make this without the donut mold (which I don’t have)? Would it work to partially fill a muffin tin (the big ones; not cupcake size), so you’d end up with a donut without the hole??

• Diana March 25, 2014 at 12:32 am

Hi Jineen,
      That would definitely work, with the muffin tin. Would taste just as yummy πŸ™‚ Enjoy!

• Lisa Spears April 27, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Just made my first batch. these are great! I love your website, I am planning my weekly meals from this site, and everything is really good. We are in the process of reversing my husbands type 2 diabetes, and your meals, snacks and desserts are just what we need to have healthy food, and great tasting too.

• Diana April 27, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Thanks so much for sharing Lisa! I’m so happy that you’re enjoying my website. Great job to you and your husband — keep up the healthy eating!

• Yolanda June 17, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Hello,, can you please let me know what kind of chocolates you used. Were any of them raw cacao powder?

Thanks so much,

Yolanda

• Diana June 17, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Hi Yolanda,
      It was actual chocolate pieces that I used. If you wanted to use raw cacao powder you could mix it with coconut oil and a touch of honey. Enjoy!

• Becky Winkler February 7, 2015 at 2:38 pm

Does this make 6 or 12 donuts? It says 12 servings, but then says to equally distribute the batter between the 6 molds. I only have one pan, so I’m curious if I’d have to bake another batch after the first one is done?

• Diana February 17, 2015 at 8:39 pm

Hi Becky,

This recipe will make 6 donuts but each serving is 1/2 a donut. Happy Cooking πŸ™‚

• Elena April 2, 2015 at 12:00 am

Absolutely amazing! I just made them, came out great! Thank you!

• Diana April 2, 2015 at 12:13 am

Awesome, thanks for sharing, Elena!

• Dolly May 28, 2015 at 10:17 pm

OMG!!! These turned out soo yummy! I have never had such yummy donuts that are healthy. Thank you so much for your recipes contributing to good health. God Bless! Will try out other recipes too.
    Thank you to Christen Clark for mentioning about egg whites till frothy. It worked out well, since I don’t have a kitchen aid machine!

• Sherri July 20, 2015 at 10:05 pm

Hi Diana! This looks so yummy! I am making them right now, I have a question though – do I sue the egg yolks in the wet ingredients or not at all?

Sherri

• Diana July 27, 2015 at 7:42 pm

Hi Sherri, yes you mix the yolks in with the wet ingredients. Enjoy!

• Irene September 26, 2015 at 2:14 am

Hi, I’m allergic to almond and I want to try this recipe. What can I use to substitute them?

• Diana September 29, 2015 at 11:23 pm

Hi Irene,

A great 1:1 substitute for almond flour is to use ground sunflower seeds or gluten free oats. Happy Cooking!

• Kristy October 16, 2015 at 5:24 pm

My husband misses donuts – terribly. Shortly after these came out of the oven this morning, my husband came out of the kitchen with half a donut in his hand and a look of ecstasy on his face, and declared that these donuts might just be the best thing he’s ever tasted. He was absolutely thrilled! And that was before I had glazed them! Thanks for a great recipe. I’m looking forward to trying others on your site.

• Diana October 16, 2015 at 6:00 pm

Ha! That’s awesome, so glad he enjoyed it πŸ™‚

• Juicy November 4, 2015 at 6:09 am

Are the nutrition facts listed below for one whole doughnut or one half doughnut?

• Diana November 4, 2015 at 9:58 pm

Hi the nutritional facts are for one serving which is one donut. Enjoy!

• Dee November 18, 2015 at 10:54 pm

I just found your blog. The recipes look wonderful! I am curious if the almond flour called for in this recipe can be subbed with something else…I am allergic to almonds.

• Diana November 19, 2015 at 6:35 pm

Hi Dee you can substitute almond flour 1:1 with either gluten free oats or sunflower seed and grind them up in place of almond flour. Happy Cooking!

• C November 30, 2016 at 8:15 am

Coconut flour.

• Joanne November 23, 2015 at 11:37 pm

Will this work with regular almond flour?I don’t have blanched.

• Diana November 24, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Hi Joanne,

This should work with regular almond flour. Blanched almond flour just means that they skin is off the almonds when it is ground into almond flour and has a lighter color as opposed to regular almond flour that has the skin still on and is then ground up to make almond flour. Happy Cooking!

• Rena December 30, 2015 at 12:32 am

hi, would this work without the maple syrup, with stevia instead?

• Diana January 5, 2016 at 9:25 pm

Hi Rena, yes it certainly could. Happy Cooking πŸ™‚

• Erica October 24, 2016 at 9:37 pm

For the glaze, when I click on you Unsweet chocolate link, it’s powder. Is that correct? I have raw cacao powder not the cocoa powder that’s linked. Will that work?

• Diana October 31, 2016 at 7:37 pm

Hi Erica,

You can use whichever brand of Cacao powder you prefer. The link is just a suggestion.

Happy cooking! πŸ™‚

• Bex November 22, 2016 at 12:47 am

Any suggestions for freezing them before and/or after glazing?

Want them around for the holiday weekend, but want to have them made and ready to go. πŸ™‚

• Diana November 22, 2016 at 4:43 pm

Hi Bex,

These should hold up well in the freezer for a few days. Feel free to glaze before.

Happy Thanksgiving! πŸ™‚

• Anu November 23, 2016 at 1:21 am

I don’t have apple cider vinegar. What can I use as a substitute?

• Diana December 20, 2016 at 10:21 pm

Hi Anu,

Feel free to sub 1:1 with lemon juice.

Enjoy! πŸ™‚

• Priscilla March 18, 2017 at 9:52 am

THESE ARE SERIOUSLY GREAT! Just try once (e z p z recipe). Not only did they satisfy my donut craving but they’re just plain good for whatever … Cupcakes? Madelines? Coffee cake? With glaze, without. Who knows! I’m just saying it’s a great tasting, versatile recipe. Not too sweet, not too heavy. Followed donut recipe exactly with amazing results. Buuut I was too lazy to go to the store so I made a different nut based glaze. This is by far the best baking recipe I have found since eliminating dairy and grains.

• Diana March 24, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Thanks for your kind words, Priscilla! I’m so glad you enjoyed it! πŸ™‚

• Robin April 20, 2017 at 8:19 pm

Do these need to be stored in the refrigerator?

• Diana April 25, 2017 at 11:22 pm

Hi Robin,

If you’re not eating these right away, they would be best to be stored in the fridge.

Enjoy! πŸ™‚