Coconut Curry with Zucchini Noodles

Guilt free recipe for red curry noodles.

This bowl of Coconut Curry Zucchini Noodles has loads of flavor! Who knew veggies could be so satisfying.

I’m a big believer in the rewards system.

Work hard all week…enjoy a weekend off.

Eat healthy for 6 days…indulge in a cheat meal.

Meet a personal sales goal…buy that new pair of shoes.

So this past weekend I took a break from my ongoing work and projects to enjoy the reward of a couple days in Temecula’s wine country with two great friends. The time spent expanding our wine palates (I’ve moved on from whites to being able to enjoy a nice Syrah!), enjoying good food and being pampered at the spa were rejuvenating.

Great recipe for Red Coconut Curry Zucchini NOodles

Spent the weekend getting my fill of antioxidants via red wine tastings :)

Since indulgent get-aways don’t happen very often, I like to make my everyday, healthy meals taste like a reward. Pretty sneaky, right?

Like this recipe for Coconut Curry with Zucchini Noodles. It tastes like a bowl of naughty, flavorful noodles that should be only eaten for a cheat meal. And yet it’s really made with wholesome, fiber-filled veggies.

Red Curry Paste is the starring flavor in this dish. I recommended that you use 2 Tablespoons, which will give you a full flavor without being too spicy for the kids, but feel free to jazz it up with even more if you love spice.

Also this dish was made vegan, as I had a vegetarian guest the night I made this, but you can easily add strips of sautéed beef, seasoned generously with salt and pepper. Brown the beef in the skillet first, then remove and set aside until mixing it in to the curry in the last step, with the noodles.

Take the time to reward yourself with this tasty, healthier-than-you’d-think dish. Enjoy!

Coconut Curry with Zucchini Noodles

1. In a large skillet warm the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell peppers and water. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes. Add the curry paste and cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
  2. Add the coconut milk and simmer as the sauce thickens, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the basil, lime juice and the zucchini noodles. Season with salt and pepper and serve warm. Enjoy!

Serving size: ¼     Calories: 262     Fat: 20     Carbohydrates: 16     Sodium: 264     Fiber: 9     Protein: 4

Guilt free recipe for red curry noodles.

What a delicious way to enjoy the flavor of red curry.

Comments

• jamie February 24, 2014 at 9:29 pm

wow, making this soon! sounds like you had a fun weekend too!

• Diana February 24, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Thanks Jamie! Yes, it was an amazing weekend.

• Becky February 25, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Hi, Diana — Have you heard of, or ever used “Miracle Noodles?” I ordered a bunch of them but opened one package of ’em, and they stunk so much, that I haven’t opened any more packages. I might try this with those, just to get rid of ’em. Maybe the smell of curry would overpower the stench. I’m liking the thought of zucchini noodles, much better!

• Diana February 25, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Hi Becky,
      I have heard of Miracle Noodles made with shirataki flour, and tried them a few years ago. Ha, yes they smell pretty fishy and unappetizing. I’d much rather eat wholesome, unprocessed zucchini noodles as a low carb and low calorie alternative to traditional noodles. Let me know how you like this recipe!

• Trina March 1, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Hi Diana,
    Gonna make this recipe tomorrow. It sounds amazing. I have made 2 other recipes with zucchini noodles and those say to cook the noodles by sauteing in a pan. Do you cook your zucchini noodles for this recipe or put them in raw? It will probably be good either way but I want to make it the way you did the first time.

• Diana March 1, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Hi Trina,
      Great question. I do not cook the noodles. I’ve tried it before and the noodles very quickly get soggy and fall apart. So I use the noodles raw and serve it with warm sauce, which turns out great. Enjoy!

• Jamie January 23, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Hello Diana!
    You are absolutely right about the fact that this recipe tastes like you are eating a bowl full of naughtiness! I made this today for lunch (while the kiddos were at school) and added some shrimp for an extra protein boost. It was as good as any coconut curry shrimp I have had at any Thai restaurant and knowing that it was made from healthy ingredients was a huge bonus! Thank you for this and your other delicious recipes!

• Diana January 26, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Hi Jamie, that’s awesome! Thank you for sharing! 🙂

• Sherri May 7, 2015 at 8:05 pm

I just made this for lunch and oh boy, it is delicious!! I used my own red curry paste and put in shrimp. For the noodles I used steamed shredded cabbage. Next time I’m going to put in a hair of arrowroot to make the sauce thicker because I like thick glommy sauces.
    I shared my photo of my lunch on Instagram and Facebook giving reference to this website.

• Diana May 7, 2015 at 9:02 pm

Awesome, Sherri! Glad you enjoyed and thanks for sharing 🙂

• Holly January 26, 2016 at 5:06 pm

Hey Diana,

Just wanted you to know that I made this recipe last night and it was phenomenal! I grilled some chicken and added it to the dish for protein. I lightly sautéed the zucchini noodles in a tbsp of olive oil and salt and pepper for about 3 minutes. I added an extra tsp of the red curry paste as we like it a bit spicy. It was so delicious! Didn’t miss the carbs at all! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

• Diana February 4, 2016 at 9:24 pm

Awesome, Holly! Sounds really good with the added chicken. So glad you enjoyed!

• Rebecca October 6, 2016 at 3:13 am

Not sure what I did wrong but my curry came out watery. .. It didn’t thicken once the coconut milk went in. It was still very good though

• Diana October 11, 2016 at 6:38 pm

Hi Rebecca,

It may have been the coconut milk you used. Often the coconut milk that comes in a carton is too watery. I prefer this brand over any other for cooking. Thai Kitchen Organic Coconut Milk, Full Fat, Unsweetened

Hope this works out for you next time! Happy cooking! 🙂