How to Make a Low Carb Green Smoothie

Best low carb green smoothie recipe

This green smoothie is surprisingly delightful!

Have you joined the green smoothie craze?

I can understand your hesitations if you haven’t yet tried one. It doesn’t look like it would be tasty….but somehow it is!

And what’s really cool is how the infusion of dark greens into your diet will make you feel. Alive. Vibrant. Buzzing with energy.

Dark leafy greens are rich in the essential minerals and vitamins recommended by the USDA — including protein. Also, an interesting fact, chimpanzees, the closest creature to humans, consume a diet that is 40% greens.

I’ve been hooked on green smoothies and juiced greens for years now, and even have my kids and B hooked on it! This recipe for Low Carb Green Smoothie took me about 3 years to perfect. It’s sweet, filled with protein, and won’t give you a sugar rush.

Here’s a video where I demo how easy it is to make this delicious smoothie. Things get a little silly toward the end…lol!

How to Make a Low Carb Green Smoothie

1. Combine all the ingredients in your high speed blender then blend on high for a full minute, or until the tiny pieces of spinach have disappeared and the smoothie turns a brilliant shade of green.

Serving size: ½     Calories: 155     Fat: 4     Carbohydrates: 15     Sodium: 105     Fiber: 2     Protein: 15

Best low carb green smoothie recipe

Comments

• Wayne February 18, 2014 at 9:10 pm

hey what protein powder would you recommend?

• Diana February 19, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Hi Wayne,
      I’m partial to egg white protein, Jay Robb is a good brand. For Whey, BioTrust is the best.

• lars March 10, 2014 at 9:35 pm

another great one diana

• ron May 11, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Diana, I tried this smoothie and liked it very much but you say Serves 2. It is slightly more than 8 ounces which is mostly the 1 cup of coconut water. Is there an error in the recipe? I would like at least 16 ounces but don’t think I should simply double everything. also, what do you think about using unsweetend almond milk rather than coconut water?

• Diana May 12, 2014 at 6:46 pm

Hi Ron,
      Thanks for sharing! It should make 2 cups, especially if you are using the 2 full cups of spinach. If you want more, you could certainly add more coconut water, spinach and ice. Unsweetened almond milk is also an option. I prefer coconut water since it’s lower in calories, but if you prefer almond milk go with that. Enjoy!

• Shelitha May 21, 2014 at 3:25 am

I think I will try this smoothie. However, I am on a very restrictive low carb diet that only allow me to have 30 grams of carbs a day. Do you have any recipes for smoothies or foods that would fit into my requirements? Or what are your recommendations.

• Diana May 21, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Hi Shelitha,
      Thanks for sharing. Most often smoothies are very high in carbs, due to fruit. Since you aren’t able to have many carbs, I’d use a high quality, low-carb protein powder and blend it with ice and a few drops of natural flavor (like vanilla, peppermint, almond or orange) to make it yummier without adding carbs.