BEST Paleo Cinnamon Rolls

Best ever grain free cinnamon rolls

These delicious cinnamon rolls are made only with wholesome ingredients.

Cinnamon is my favorite spice, for a number of reasons…

Reason #1) Cinnamon is equally delicious in savory dishes as it is in sweet. Add it to cookies or add it to a savory ground beef dish, both will blow your mind.

Reason #2) Cinnamon has a slew of health benefits ranging from lowering blood sugar to fighting off disease.

Reason #3) Cinnamon sprinkled on sliced apple with a dollop of almond butter makes a quick, tasty afternoon snack.

Reason #4) The most obvious reason to love cinnamon….You can’t have a Cinnamon Roll without it! And honestly, where would we all be if the world did not have cinnamon rolls?

When I was growing up, back when hanging out at the mall and eating gluten were both in vogue,  I made many stops at the Cinnabon counter. All of those after-school cinnamon rolls probably explain why I landed the childhood nickname of Baby Fat. Kids can be cruel, and brutally honest. By the time I was entering 9th grade I had packed nearly 150 pounds into my 5 foot frame.There was no denying the fact that I was chubby.

At the time I had no concept of nutrition. There was no one to point out that most of my diet was sugar and grains, which were causing me to gain weight. It took years of struggling with my weight and reading about nutrition to discover that once I cut out the sugar and the grains my body dropped the excess fat.

Now it’s been years since I’ve tasted a traditional cinnamon roll. When a craving hits I make this grain and refined sugar free recipe for Paleo Cinnamon Rolls. To recreate the buttery, cinnamon goo, I used coconut oil, coconut crystals, golden raisins, chopped pecans and ground cinnamon…lots of ground cinnamon!

You’ll never need a traditional cinnamon roll after trying this recipe.

It can be a little tricky to get the hang of rolling out the dough and assembling the cinnamon rolls, so I made this video to show you how. Enjoy!

BEST Paleo Cinnamon Rolls

For the Dough
For the Filling
For the Glaze

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a pan with coconut oil.
  2. Combine the dry dough ingredients in a medium bowl and mix to remove any lumps. Combine the wet dough ingredients in another medium bowl and mix well. Combine the wet and dry ingredients together and mix well. Chill the dough for 15 minutes.
  3. Cut two rectangular pieces of parchment paper and place the dough in between them. Use a rolling pin to flatten the dough evenly into a large rectangle. Remove the top piece of parchment paper.
  4. In a small bowl combine the filing ingredients. Sprinkle the filling mixture over the flattened dough, then carefully roll it up. Use the bottom parchment paper to assist in rolling the dough, this works better than using your hands. Use a serrated knife to cut the roll into 9 pieces. Carefully place the pieces on your prepared pan.
  5. Bake for 20 minutes.
  6. In a small bowl combine the glaze ingredients. Drizzle over the cinnamon rolls. Sprinkle with chopped pecans. Enjoy!

Serving size: ½ roll     Calories: 251     Fat: 17     Carbohydrates: 21     Sodium: 71     Fiber: 3     Protein: 5

Best ever grain free cinnamon rolls

Comments

• Marg February 8, 2014 at 4:02 am

Can I also make this with GF Oat Flour? Or another not (Nut) flour?

• Diana February 8, 2014 at 4:36 am

Hi Marg, yes, in my experience oat flour can safely be substituted for almond flour. Enjoy!

• Marg February 11, 2014 at 1:51 am

Thank you I will give a try.:)

• Tina February 8, 2014 at 5:39 pm

I am grateful for your recipes and these look amazing. I have fallen in love with almond flour! I made some blueberry muffins with it the other day, may have gotten the recipe from you I don’t recall. They were delicious but I felt they were a little lacking in terms of . . . “heft” perhaps? Meaning, I could eat several of them without blinking – really not filling. Would adding milled flax seed help with this? Thanks for your thoughts!

• Arlene February 8, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Absolutely delicious Diana! My only issue is that they wanted to fall apart as I picked them up to put in the pan. Any suggestions??

• Diana February 10, 2014 at 2:58 am

Hi Arlene, try using a metal spatula to transfer them into the pan, and then once you put them down in the pan squish the roll together. Enjoy!

• Sandie February 9, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Hi Diana, love your website. My question is about coconut oil. How do you measure it before it’s added to bowl? For example, do you measure 1/2 cup of semi solid coconut oil and then liquify it OR do you liquify the oil and then measure out 1/2 cup?

Thanks, your recipes and videos are amazing and so helpful. The care and love you add to them is truly inspiring. My family is excited to try to recipe.

• Diana February 10, 2014 at 2:59 am

Hi Sandie, Thanks for the feedback! Glad you’re enjoying my recipes. I measure coconut oil while it is solid, before melting it down. Great question!

• catherine June 20, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Use a scale and convert it to grams.

• Shimo February 9, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Thank you so much for your great recipes & your great effort..can I substitute coconut sugar with something else?! As it’s not available at the Middle East market.

• Diana February 10, 2014 at 3:01 am

Hi Shimo, Thanks for your feedback 🙂 If I didn’t have coconut sugar I would grind pitted dates into a paste and use that instead. In fact that sounds good, I may have to try it that way next time…

• Tracy February 10, 2014 at 5:52 pm

Diana

Could you tell me the nutritional info calories etc for this recipe – excited to try it?

• Diana April 8, 2014 at 12:34 am

Hi Tracy,

Nutritional info is posted above. Enjoy!

• allison February 19, 2014 at 11:09 pm

fantastic!

• Stephanie March 17, 2014 at 10:08 pm

I have NO idea what I did wrong but my dough was so sticky that I could not roll it into shape. I even chilled it but that didn’t work either. Now it’s in the oven as a big mushy pile. I’m hoping that the flavor is good anyway – should be. Not sure where I messed up. Any idea?

• Diana March 18, 2014 at 12:07 am

Hi Stephanie,
      Oh no! So sorry to hear that you had troubles with the dough. If that happens again the best thing to do is to sprinkle in more almond flour and/or coconut flour until the dough reaches a roll-able consistency. Coconut flour really absorbs liquid, so a few sprinkles of this worked into the dough could do the trick beautifully. I hope you enjoyed the taste, despite the shape! 🙂

• Ruth April 7, 2014 at 1:27 am

I MADE THE PALEO CINNAMON AND COULD NOT GET IT ROLLED IT KEPT FALLING APART NOT SURE WHAT I DID WRONG MAYBE ROLLED TOO THIN BUT THEY TASTED GREAT AS A HUGE ROLL OF MESS LOL I WILL TRY THE RECIPE AGAIN AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS ABOUT HOW THICK SHOULD THE DOUGH BE ONCE IT IS ROLLED AND HOW BIG ? THANKS RUTH

• Diana April 8, 2014 at 12:33 am

Hi Ruth,
      Roll the dough to about 1/2 inch and make sure that you use the parchment paper, this will help you keep it all together. Also you can mold it with your hands as you are rolling it up to stick any wayward pieces back together. Enjoy!

• Lee Ann Priore May 13, 2014 at 1:07 am

Diana
    Love the recipe, but like the others my dough just simply would not stick together and fell into a mess. I tried adding 1 more egg and that didn’t help so next time I will try adding more flour – either coconut or almond. I am curious if I am having trouble because I am at a higher elevation, around 6000, any suggestions?

• Diana May 13, 2014 at 1:29 am

Hi Lee Ann,

Thanks for sharing! 2 keys to successfully making this recipe: 1) Chill the dough for at least 15 mins before rolling. 2) Use the parchment paper to assist you in rolling, don’t attempt to roll just with your hands. I’m not sure about the elevation changing the dough consistency, though I suspect that it wouldn’t change anything. Now the baking time may change though. Hope that helps and enjoy!

• Bestamazonfood.Com May 17, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Damn, thanks very much for posting this! It is gonna aid me when I buy Cinnamon at the grocery store! So Beautiful!

• Diana May 20, 2014 at 1:17 am

You’re welcome, enjoy!

• sasha hollis September 14, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Finally remembered to get coconut sugar for these babies!! I have followed other paleo cinnamon roll recipies before and they came out very dry, your ‘dough’ was perfect and using the baking parchment made the rolling process so much easier. Because I wanted really gooey sticky rolls I used half a cup of date syrup instead of coconut sugar for the filling although they weren’t as pretty as they could have been and splurged out a lot when I cut them up it was worth it they were so gooey and moist i didn’t even need to glaze them next time I will use half cococnut sugar and half date syrup for the filling to make the process a bit tidier. Thank you so much for the recipie it’s definitely made it to my scrap book! 🙂

• Diana September 15, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Thanks so much for sharing, Sasha! Glad you enjoyed 🙂

• Cdnskmom September 19, 2014 at 2:26 am

I completely loved the taste, my kids not as much, but they were of course expecting a more typical cinnamon bun. They are a little tricky to make, as others said, they fall apart when prepping, but still worth it!

• Diana September 19, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Thanks for sharing! I’m glad you enjoyed the recipe 🙂

• ganna October 11, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Haven’t made it yet, but you give me hope. I make these killer cinnamon rolls which my nephew can’t eat because he’s allergic to most of the ingredients–grains and dairy. If these taste half as good as the picture looks, they should be awesome. Thanks.

• Diana October 13, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Awesome, enjoy!

• Jen Hasseld December 25, 2014 at 2:23 pm

You just MADE Christmas morning! We always did commercial cinnamon rolls and this year my son and I are gluten-free. Checked out your recipe, whipped up a quick batch (love that!) and we all had a delicious breakfast. My husband said it was the first time he preferred my gluten-free version of something to the real deal! Thanks for such a great, easy, delicious recipe! I’m looking forward to trying more of your creations.

• Diana January 2, 2015 at 6:37 pm

Yay!! I am so happy that you enjoyed them!

• Avigail March 2, 2015 at 9:36 am

Can I make these in advance and freeze them? (Can I do that with your blueberry muffins and bagels too?)

• Diana March 3, 2015 at 4:58 pm

Hi Avigail, you sure can! That’s a great way to save time 🙂

• Juliette April 12, 2015 at 11:10 pm

I love making cinnamon rolls. The house smells so nice.
    It came out delicious!! Thanks for sharing!

• Miranda April 12, 2015 at 11:13 pm

Absolutely yummy!!

• Mariana April 12, 2015 at 11:16 pm

Love this recipe.

• Amanda April 12, 2015 at 11:19 pm

I make this every Sunday for breakfast. We love it with a cap of coffee in the am.

• Amanda April 12, 2015 at 11:28 pm

I just made it and it came out really good. Tastes good too. Merci!

• Katalina April 12, 2015 at 11:45 pm

Deliceous!

• KC April 13, 2015 at 12:00 am

Family approved it! Tastes good!

• Julianna April 13, 2015 at 12:02 am

Great one. It’s a keeper

• Mary April 13, 2015 at 12:05 am

Made it last night. Delicious!

• alejandra April 13, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Very tasty

• Michelle April 13, 2015 at 1:03 pm

Kids favorite.

• Margie April 13, 2015 at 1:08 pm

So tasty. Yum!

• AnnMarie April 13, 2015 at 1:11 pm

Please share more recipes like this one. It’s my husbands fave 🙂

• Varduhi April 13, 2015 at 1:43 pm

I finally got almond flour and made my cinnamon rolls.

• Hannah April 13, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Thank you for sharing healthy recipes.

• Samantha April 13, 2015 at 1:52 pm

Wonderful!

• isabella April 13, 2015 at 2:09 pm

These are amazing. Everyone loved them in the family. I think saturday morning breakfasts have a new staple! Thank you again!

• Kris April 13, 2015 at 7:59 pm

I’ve been wanting to try this recipe for while. I did and it came out pretty good.

• Lena April 13, 2015 at 8:11 pm

I never used coconut oil before and I was not sure it I’ll like it. I made cinnamon rolls yesterday and liked it.

• Johnny April 14, 2015 at 1:45 am

These were delicious! The wife loved them. Thank you Diana!

• Stacy April 14, 2015 at 1:46 am

Cravings totally satisfied. DELICIOUS!

• Becca April 14, 2015 at 1:47 am

I am in LOVE with this recipe. Will be making these at least once every week.

• inga April 15, 2015 at 9:03 pm

I made cinnamon rolls for after lunch desert today and my girlfriends really liked it. Thank you for sharing yummy and healthy recipes 🙂

• Ariana April 15, 2015 at 9:07 pm

I like how you use healthy stuff. I don’t feel guilty after eating…
    Cinnamon rolls are one of my favorite.

• Hanna May 22, 2015 at 2:38 am

I’m kind of desperate to get a very good and tasty cinnamon rolls… can I use almond meal instead of blanched almond flour? Thanks

• Diana May 22, 2015 at 5:42 pm

Hi Hanna,
      Yes, almond meal and blanched almond flour can be used interchangeably. The difference between them is that blanched almond flour is made without the almond skins on, so it is lighter in color and in consistency. Almond meal is darker in color and in consistency but in baking these both work just the same. Hope you love this recipe! Enjoy 🙂

• Hanna August 15, 2015 at 3:15 pm

Hi, Diana. I just remembered I wrote a comment here and didnt check back. I just wanted to tell you, even though I didnt know I can interchange the almond meal in this recipe, I did and they are perfect everytime! I have been doing this cinnamon rolls since the date I wrote the comment above (I made them almost every week) and Im so happy with the results! They are definitely a winner! The only think I skip now is the glaze (they are amazing with the glaze too!) and I make some adjustment to have the recipe in grams. Thank you so much for being so generous!
        Be well

• Vanessa June 16, 2015 at 8:59 pm

Diana, my kids are begging for “pop-tarts”. Could I possibly use this dough recipie? I thought I could pull it off but im scared. They love them because they can use the toaster themselves. Im thinking freeze dried fruit to make the icing? Any advice?

• Diana June 19, 2015 at 8:33 pm

Hi Vanessa – I’d be concerned that a pop-tart shape made from this dough would crumble when put in a toaster oven. Might be a huge mess! I applaud your efforts to make them something healthier than pop-tarts. Perhaps a bowl of Grain-free Granola and they could pour the coconut milk themselves :)http://realhealthyrecipes.com/2014/09/15/easy-granola-video/ Happy Cooking!

• Melody February 6, 2016 at 8:10 am

I tried to make the frosting but it didn’t look like yours. Could you please provide it please with measurements? I just found your recipe on Pintrest and had to make it right away. I did and they look great and the house smells amazing. Cinnamon rolls are my favorite but I could never find one that was healthy to make and enjoy. Yours is very healthy and you don’t feel like you’re missing out. Thank you

• Melody February 6, 2016 at 8:11 am

I forgot to rate my recipe. It definitely gets a five star.

• Diana May 25, 2016 at 7:37 pm

Hi Melody,

There’s only one thing better than the smell of fresh baked cinnamon rolls…HEALTHY fresh baked cinnamon rolls. 🙂

Here’s the link to the updated recipe. Enjoy! 🙂

• tracy March 10, 2016 at 5:11 pm

We loved them, even thogh husband must have knocked his elbow and put too much almond essence in, we substituted the pecans for cashews as we did not have pecans. We LOVED them.

• Diana March 10, 2016 at 7:30 pm

Awesome! So glad you enjoyed the recipe and love that you subbed in cashews for the pecans – gotta use what you have on hand!

• Anna April 27, 2016 at 1:59 pm

All I can say is WOW! I made it last night & the next day taste even better!!!
    Thank you soooooo much for an awesome recipes!!

• Diana April 27, 2016 at 2:08 pm

Yay, so glad to hear you enjoyed this recipe!

• Ann August 27, 2016 at 1:31 am

Hello, can these be made with vegg egg or some other type of vegan egg. I’m assuming the egg is acting like a binder. Thanks.

• AA January 12, 2017 at 7:28 pm

This is the best healthy cinnamon roll ever!!! Thank you so much for the recipe!