Recently I had an epiphany over a bowl of zucchini squash noodles: We eat noodles not for their taste, but just to have something to serve yummy sauce over. So why not make those noodles healthier?
Making noodles out of squash is a hot new healthy eating trend that’s continuing to gain momentum. Noodles are made from zucchini using a veggie peeler or a special spiral slicer, as well as with the natural noodle strands of cooked spaghetti squash.
It just makes sense to swap out grain+gluten+refined-carb-filled noodles for fiber-filled, wholesome noodles made with squash! In addition to the health benefits, squash noodles taste so good that even the kids will slurp them down.
So where do you begin when making squash noodles for the first time? I say start with the humble spaghetti squash.
Spaghetti squash is really cool in that the noodles are already formed for you and are easily served once the squash has been cooked. I’ll show you how easy it is to turn spaghetti squash into pasta noodles in the video below, and don’t miss the yummy recipes below. Enjoy!
- 1 spaghetti squash
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Cut your spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise and place cut side up in a baking pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, scoop and and discard the seeds. Scoop out the soft, spaghetti squash strands into a serving dish. Serve warm with sauce and meat balls. Enjoy!
- 2 pounds lean, organic, grass-fed ground beef
- 1 pound lean, sweet turkey sausage
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 3 omega-3, eggs
- ½ cup almond meal
- 2 Tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- dash of salt and pepper
- Optional: handful of olives
- Throw all of the meatball ingredients into a large bowl and mix with your hands. Form into large, golf ball sized meatballs.
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients into a medium bowl and mix well.
- Cook with Slow Cooker: Place the meatballs in your slow cooker. Cover with the sauce and cook on low for 6-8 hours. OR Cook with stovetop: Place meatballs in a large pot. Cover with sauce and cook, covered, over low heat for 2-3 hours.
- Place a scoop of spaghetti squash noodles on each plate, top with meatballs and some sauce and then throw on a few olives.