Over the past few weeks B and I have gotten back into juicing…at least one cup filled with freshly juiced greens, fruit, veggies and ginger each morning.
Something magical happens when you drink a cup of freshly made veggie juice, especially when it contains a generous helping of fresh ginger. It’s as if your cells start to buzz! It’s energizing and refreshing.
And I’ve noticed a added benefit…it seems to act as a mild appetite suppressant. Bonus!
There are people who say that blending is better than juicing, since it contains all of the natural fiber of the produce. While I agree that fiber is very important, here are my reasons for including a glass of freshly squeezed veggie juice in my daily diet:
1) Juicing delivers many valuable micronutrients that our bodies need. These are micronutrients that you could get by consuming the produce whole, but you’d have to stuff yourself!
2) Juicing helps us to absorb all of the nutrients in the produce.
3) Juicing increases the number of veggies that we consume each day and increases the variety of produce we consume.
4) Adding fresh ginger to your juice will give it an energetic kick, and researchers have found that ginger can have dramatic effects on cardiovascular health, including preventing atherosclerosis, lowering cholesterol levels, and preventing the oxidation of low density lipoprotein (LDL).
All of those benefits being said, it’s important that the majority of your fruits and veggies are eaten whole, and that the fresh juice you consume is thought of as bonus veggies.
I named this recipe New Beginnings because that’s just how it makes you feel — like your body is being cleansed and you’re starting over fresh! Feel free to make modifications to the recipe, but make sure to include 1 part dark leafy green, 1 part fruit, 1 part veggie and a nice piece of fresh ginger. Enjoy!
*BTW I get a lot of questions about which juicer I use. My Jack Lalanne PJP Power Juicer Pro Stainless-Steel Electric Juicer is awesome, I love it. Click here to learn more.
- 1 bunch organic kale
- 2 small organic apples
- 4 large organic carrots
- 1 cup organic melon
- 1 piece organic ginger
- Run all of the ingredients through your juicer and drink immediately. Enjoy!