How to Make Paleo Tortillas (Video)

Easy paleo tortilla recipe

These coconut flour tortillas are the perfect replacement for flour tortillas.

Before converting my eating habits to the Real Healthy Recipes guidelines, I used to purchase a big bag of tortillas every time I went grocery shopping. And I felt pretty good about it too, since it was the whole wheat kind instead of the white ones. I’d roll up sliced turkey and cheese for B’s lunches and peanut butter and jelly for mine. I also liked to roll up scrambled eggs in tortillas for an on-the-way-to-work breakfast.

Since going grain and gluten free I’ve missed the convenience of those tortillas, and set out to make one with coconut flour.

There are endless possibilities on how to fill your tortilla wraps, but my favorite is with raw almond butter and fresh, organic black berries. To create your perfect wrap first choose a spread and then a filling. Here are a few ideas:

Spreads:

Fillings:

I’ll show you just how easy it is to make these wholesome tortillas in the video below…

Don’t miss the blooper at the very end of the video — I demo what happens if you don’t let your tortilla cook long enough… :)

Coconut Flour Tortillas

1. Preheat a medium sized, non-stick skillet over medium low heat.
  2. Combine all of the ingredients in a high speed blender and mix until smooth.
  3. Coat the skillet with coconut oil. Pour ⅓ cup of batter into the skillet in a large tortilla shape. Allow to cook until set, then flip to brown the other side. Repeat with all of the batter — should make 12 tortillas.

Serving size: 1 tortilla     Calories: 100     Fat: 9     Carbohydrates: 2     Sodium: 117     Fiber: 1     Protein: 5
Coconut flour tortillas with flax meal by realhealthyrecipes.com

This version has flax meal and egg yolks, making it stronger than the recipes with mainly egg whites.

Comments

• tina December 17, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Can you freeze them or the batter?

• Diana December 17, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Hi Tina,
      Yes you can freeze the tortillas, just be sure to separate each one with wax or parchment paper so they don’t end up sticking together.

• jac February 5, 2014 at 5:05 am

Diana, not sure what went wrong, but my batter was so thick and didn’t spread in the pan thinly? What could I use to make it thinner? I ended up making what looks like pikelets – just as tasty with berries and almond butter, but was really hoping to make big ones so I could use them in my daughter’s lunch as a substitute for wraps:(

• Diana February 6, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Hi Jac,
      Add a little more coconut milk until you reach the right consistency. And be sure to blend the batter well. Hope that helps!

• Katie February 19, 2014 at 8:56 pm

What did I do wrong? It fell apart when I tried to flip it. This says cooking time 30 minutes, which implies that each of the 12 tortillas should cook in 2.5 minutes. It took over 6 minutes for one side of one of them to look like yours. Help?!

• Diana February 19, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Hi Katie, I’m sorry to hear that this recipe was troublesome for you. Cooking times can vary greatly, especially when cooking over a skillet, so really just go by how the batter looks and flip it when it’s bubbly and set. Also, you can cook more than one tortilla at a time if you use a large enough skillet. That’s what I like to do to save time. Enjoy!

• Kerri March 20, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Hi;

I am gluten, dairy and egg free. Would this recipe work using the flax meal substitute for the eggs?

Thanks.

• Diana March 23, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Hi Kerri,
      You could certainly try to sub the eggs for flax. I’d also throw in 2 Tablespoons of arrowroot starch to help bind it together. Good luck!

• Deb May 14, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Wondering if anyone can tell me if these are a good replacement for savoury dishes? ie, can I wrap a fajita, or taco with these? they look a little “pancake-like”. Which still looks good, just maybe not for a black bean burrito! lol
    thanks!