How to Make Grain-Free Bread (Video)

Easy gluten-free bread recipe.

Here’s my favorite easy recipe for almond bread.

Bread is a huge part of our food culture. Some form of bread is included in nearly all restaurant and home cooked meals. We grew up eating bread, and we give our kids bread. Bread is part of who we are.

So what do you do when you figure out that grains (bread) doesn’t belong in a truly healthy diet? Throw out your bread box and be done with it?

Well, that approach would work, but I’d rather adapt my bread recipes by using real food ingredients and leaving the grains out. This way there’s still a slice of something warm and soft to be eaten with dinner, and I can still make French Toast on the weekends.

Yes, you can still enjoy a slice of bread while avoiding grains and gluten. This moist bread is made with almond meal, which gives it a delicious nutty flavor. My kids love this in their lunches spread with peanut-butter and fruit-only jelly, and B says this is one of his all-time favorites.

It only takes about 5 minutes to prepare and then 45 mins to bake. I’ll show you just how easy this recipe is in the video below:

Easy Almond Bread

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Generously grease a loaf pan with coconut oil.
  2. In a large bowl combine all of the dry ingredients.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs then add honey and vinegar. Add the wet ingredients to dry ones and mix until fully combined.
  4. Fill prepared loaf pan, smooth the top of the dough. Bake for 45 mins or until golden brown.
  5. Loosen side of bread immediately after removing from oven, then allow to cool completely before removing from pan.

Serving size: 1 Slice     Calories: 157     Fat: 12     Carbohydrates: 7     Sodium: 98     Fiber: 3     Protein: 7

Easy grain-free bread recipe.

Comments

• oosha rao November 27, 2013 at 9:16 am

Hi Diana

I have your RH cookbook and love it.
    Recently my husband brought home from Europe Hazelnut flour which I want to use.
    Can I substitute it for Almond meal in the bread.
    oosha

• Diana January 4, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Hi Oosha,
      Hazelnut flour sounds good! I imagine it would work in place of almond flour, assuming it is pure, blended hazelnuts. Let me know how it turns out!

• Dita MacDonald November 29, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I have just found your website and I am glad I found it. I am wondering how you got 24 servings of the Easy Almond Bread. What size bread pan do you use? I want to make this cuz it looks great. I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks for all your hard work.

• Diana February 22, 2016 at 9:41 pm

Hi Dita,
      It’s a 9″ loaf pan. Enjoy!

• Esther May 19, 2014 at 4:33 pm

We are enjoying your recipes and appreciate having the grain free choices.

This almond bread recipes calls for a 300 degree oven setting. IS this right or is it a misprint?

Thank you in advance for answering this question.

• Diana May 20, 2014 at 1:19 am

Thanks for sharing, Esther! Yes, I do bake almond bread at 300, for a longer period of time. I find it bakes better that way. Make sure to check that it’s cooked all the way through before removing from oven. I do so by wiggling the pan and seeing if it moves at all. Enjoy!

• Brenda Martin January 24, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Diana, I have same question you failed to answer for Dita in November of 2013. I see it “serves” 24 and each slice is 157 calories. But, it really looks as though the loaf is sliced into 12 slices. So do you then cut down middle of each of those slices to get the 24 servings? I don’t care, I just think it important to know the correct size of each serving.

• Diana January 26, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Hi Brenda,

You are correct. Each serving is 1/2 a slice of bread and one loaf makes 12 slices of bread. Happy Cooking!

• Bettie July 10, 2016 at 7:00 pm

If each serving is 1/2 a slice of bread then does the nutrition scale you used need to be doubled for each serving? That would make a great deal of difference in the carbohydrates alone! 12 slices versus 23 is huge! Very misleading……

• Diana July 12, 2016 at 9:23 pm

Hello Bettie, 🙂

The nutrition information is as follows- Serving size: 1 Slice Calories: 157 Fat: 12 Carbohydrates: 7 Sodium: 98 Fiber: 3 Protein: 7

Have a great day!

• Emma May 23, 2015 at 4:05 am

Hi

I just made the almond bread (tastes very nice) and was wondering if you have any bread recipes that call for coconut flour instead of almond as coconut is cheaper to buy?

Any help is appreciated

• Flix August 4, 2015 at 9:06 pm

Hi, I was wondering if I could somehow half this recipe? I want to try out a smaller portion.

• Diana August 5, 2015 at 5:15 pm

Hi Flix,
      Yes you could halve this recipe and do in a smaller loaf pan, or in muffin tins. Be sure to shorten the baking time to prevent overcooking the smaller portion. EnjoY!

• SF in NYC October 26, 2015 at 3:26 pm

Thank you for this recipe! I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian and absolutely HATE eggs. Have never been able to eat them, except in baked good. Anything more than that (quiche, friend rice with egg, etc.) and I just can’t even. I thought this might be a good way to get some of the amazing nutrition of eggs into something I’d actually like to eat. Worked liked a charm! My only change was that the Bob Mills bag of Almond Meal is 4 cups, so rather than buying two and only using part of the second, I used 4 cups of Almond Meal, 5 eggs (instead of 6) and kept the other ingredients the same. Turned out well! Thanks again.

• Diana February 17, 2016 at 1:45 am

Awesome, glad you enjoyed!

• Niki February 16, 2016 at 4:57 am

Loved The recipe , it was absolutely delicious, do you have any recipes with oat bran?

• Ranee July 10, 2016 at 11:48 pm

The flour seemed to absorb all the liquid and it stayed crumbly and not dough like. Not sure what I did wrong.

• Diana July 12, 2016 at 9:27 pm

Hi Ranee,

I’m sorry the dough did not work out well for you. Sometimes different brands of almond flour will absorb liquid differently. I always use Honeyville Farms Blanched Almond Flour. It works well for these recipes. It can be hard to find in store but you can buy it here- http://astore.amazon.com/realheacom-20/detail/B0006ZN538.

Happy cooking! 🙂