I used to love a piping hot bowl of Chicken Tortilla Soup, complete with beans, something creamy in the base and a sprinkle of fried tortilla strips on top. Of course that was before I started to watch what I ate. Since then I’ve cut out grains, gluten, legumes and dairy — all main ingredients in Chicken Tortilla Soup– but I’ve missed those south-of-the-border flavors.
So here’s my rendition of Chicken Tortilla Soup, albeit without any actual tortillas! The addition of cauliflower rice nicely replaces tortilla strips, and the veggies and chicken are bursting with that awesome south-of-the-border flavor. Enjoy!
- 2 organic, free range chicken breasts
- 1 (28oz) can diced, fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 (4oz) can green chiles, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 head cauliflower, shredded
- 32 oz organic, free range chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- dash of sea salt and pepper
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 avocados
- Tajin seasoning for garnish
- Combine all of the ingredients, except the cilantro, avocado and tajin, in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the slow cooker. Shred with a fork and then return to the slow cooker.
- Garnish each bowl with a sprinkle of cilantro, a few slices of avocado and a dash of tajin. Enjoy!