I think that healthy food should be more fun. Like way more fun.
There are soooo many quick, convenient, FUN-looking unhealthy meal options out there that we are competing with. Happy meals, take-out pizza, hamburger helper, and frozen foods with cartoons on the packaging. And we expect our kids to sit down and happily eat the wholesome meal that we prepared? At some point we have to think outside of the broccoli and chicken breast and turn our healthy dinner into an experience…
This pie is so much fun! Spaghetti squash takes the place of noodles in this not-so-traditional spaghetti pie. Pairs of black olives placed on cashew cream give the look and feel of a critter looking up at you. It’s both creep and exciting. Eat it if you dare!
Now this is what I’d call a happy meal 🙂
- 1 organic spaghetti squash
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 ounces ground turkey or beef
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 Tablespoons flax meal
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Dairy-Free Cheese Spread
- 20 black olives
- Wash the spaghetti squash, slice in half lengthwise and bake cut-side up in a 375 degree F oven for 40 minutes, or until tender. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- In a large skillet warm the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes. Add the ground turkey and cook until the meat is brown and onion is tender. Stir in fennel seeds, tomato sauce, and oregano. Heat through. Remove from heat.
- Use a fork to scrape the spaghetti squash strands from the squash skins and place in a medium bowl. Add the eggs, flax meal and nutritional yeast. Mix until fully incorporated. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with coconut oil. Press spaghetti squash mixture onto the bottom and up sides of pie plate, forming a crust. Spread the meat mixture over the crust.
- Form balls out of one Tablespoon of the cheese spread, and place a black olive in the center of it. Arrange the ‘eyeballs’ in pairs all over the top of the pie.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and heated through. Slice into wedges to serve.