Garlic Roasted Japanese Eggplant

Delicious easy recipe for roasted eggplant

These roasted eggplants make the perfect dinner side dish.

I am obsessed with this recipe. It all started when, for the first time EVER, my garden successfully produced a crop of Japanese eggplants. I came up with this recipe to cover the eggplants in a garlic-lemon-olive oil mixture and then roast it to tender, golden perfection. It turned out amazingly good!

Since then I’ve been making this tasty eggplant dish at least once a week. I’m probably going to turn purple soon… 🙂

The key to making this recipe extra delicious is to roast it until it’s really really tender and golden. When in doubt, leave it in to roast a little longer.

Garlic Roasted Japanese Eggplant

• 4-6 Japanese eggplants
  • Sea salt
  • ⅛ cup olive oil
  • 1 heaping Tablespoon crushed garlic
  • Juice from 1 lemon

1. Trim the ends from the eggplants and slice in half the long way. Carefully score the flesh with short diagonal cuts then generously sprinkle with sea salt. Allow the eggplant to sit for 20 minutes, until some liquid is drawn out.
  2. Use a paper towel to wipe the moisture from the eggplants. Line the eggplant on a baking sheet, flesh side up.
  3. In a small cup combine the remaining ingredients.
  4. Generously coat the tops of the eggplant with the garlic mixture.
  5. Roast at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Let it get really mushy and creamy on the inside while the skins crisp slightly.

Calories: 196     Fat: 8     Carbohydrates: 31     Sodium: 114     Fiber: 19     Protein: 5
Delicious easy recipe for roasted eggplant

This is my favorite way to enjoy garden fresh eggplant!

Comments

• Kaye Reid August 31, 2013 at 9:53 pm

What temperature did you use for roasting the eggplant?
    Thanks.

• Diana May 25, 2016 at 8:25 pm

Hi Kaye!

The eggplants roast at 400 degrees.

Happy cooking! 🙂

• Rebecca April 23, 2014 at 1:21 am

Hey! I tried this recipe for dinner tonight. I think next time I make it I’ll only bake for 20 minutes, at 30 my eggplants were overcooked. They did have a yummy flavor, despite being on the toasty side. I tried them plain, but they’re better with hummus or tomato sauce. Yummy recipe!

• Diana April 23, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Thanks for sharing Rebecca!

• Christina June 5, 2014 at 1:27 am

AMAZING recipe!! And so simple! I cooked the eggplant for 40+ minutes and it was soft and SO yummy. I had a limited recipe list for cooking eggplant so this is a huge help. I did a little more olive oil (maybe 1/4 cup?) and about 3/4 of a lemon. I was worried the eggplant might burn with 1/8 cup of oil, but it didn’t at all. I may cut back next time to see how little oil I can get away with.

• Diana June 5, 2014 at 5:08 am

Hi Christina,
      Thanks so much for sharing — I seriously love making eggplant this way! I could eat it everyday 🙂

• Lynn August 17, 2014 at 5:06 am

I love this recipe! So soft and such a delicate flavor. Will do this again and again!

• Diana August 18, 2014 at 12:41 am

Hi Lynn,

Glad you love this recipe! Thanks for sharing 🙂

• Sharon October 19, 2014 at 8:23 pm

I have not tried this recipe yet, but will very soon as I was given a generous passel of Japanese eggplants today. I came here looking for a recipe for the eggplants and to see if you had one for Spaghetti Squash; which I’m roasting now to which I’ll add some tomato sauce, cheeses and herbs. Trying to expand my menu options. Looking forward to trying this recipe.

• Diana October 21, 2014 at 12:11 am

Lucky you! I simply love Japanese eggplants! Let me know how you enjoyed this recipe and thanks for commenting.

• Arl September 16, 2015 at 10:53 pm

Do you eat the skin?

• Diana September 17, 2015 at 6:50 pm

Hi Arl,

I do eat the skins. Happy Cooking!

• Zuzu September 17, 2015 at 9:31 pm

Love this recipe, I also tried roasting organic bell peppers using this mixture as well! It was delicious!!!

• Jon Hein October 20, 2015 at 4:31 am

I love the recipe except for the generous spreading of salt part. I am not sure how that comes to 114 mg of sodium. I just cook them on low heat for a few minutes first instead. Other than that it is a very simple and delicious recipe.