These days we are becoming more aware of the risks of eating a high carb diet.
Obesity is at an all time high. People are getting sicker, and it’s time that we do something to stop it.
You are in the unique position to make a difference with your family by cooking healthy, dairy and grain free dinners. It’s easier than you think.
Here’s a modern take on a beloved Italian recipe that takes out the grain and dairy, leaving it both delicious and low carb.
Dinners like this one, that are high in fiber and protein, will help you and yours drop unwanted body fat.
- 1 organic spaghetti squash
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 ounces ground turkey or beef
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 Tablespoons flax meal
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ Batch of Dairy-Free Cheese Spread (See Below)
- Wash the spaghetti squash, slice in half lengthwise and bake cut-side up in a 375 degree F oven for 40 minutes, or until tender. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- In a large skillet warm the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes. Add the ground turkey and cook until the meat is brown and onion is tender. Stir in fennel seeds, tomato sauce, and oregano. Heat through. Remove from heat.
- Use a fork to scrape the spaghetti squash strands from the squash skins and place in a medium bowl. Add the eggs, flax meal and nutritional yeast. Mix until fully incorporated. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with coconut oil. Press spaghetti squash mixture onto the bottom and up sides of pie plate, forming a crust. Spread the meat mixture over the crust. Sprinkle with the cheese spread.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and heated through. Slice into wedges to serve.
- Discard the cashew soaking water.
- Combine all of the cheese spread ingredients into a high speed blender.
- Mix until completely smooth.