I lost it in a doctor’s waiting room today. Flat. Out. Lost. It.
The kids and I were there to take Chloe for her before-Kindergarten check-up. As we sat in the waiting room, a flat screen TV on the wall was broadcasting a wellness channel to the captive patients. It was the normal stuff, a profile on a 44 year old man who had a heart attack and then started living a healthier lifestyle, a piece on consulting your pharmacist when any changes occur with your medications–both over the counter and prescription, and then came the piece on healthy cooking.
That’s when I lost it.
The sweet, slender woman on the screen told us that regular muffins are bad for us, and are basically donuts. Sure, I definitely agreed with her on that. Then she went on to walk us through a “HEALTHY” muffin recipe that made my head spin.
Her “HEALTHY” muffins called for white flour, wheat flour, brown sugar, canola oil and low fat milk. And as the little grandma next to me scribbled the recipe down on a piece of paper all I could think about is how doomed we are. Our society isn’t getting healthier anytime soon. Not when the doctor’s office tells us that muffins filled with grains, gluten, cane sugar, dairy and canola oil are healthy.
How can we expect to improve the obesity epidemic with bad information like this being passed down by medical professionals? It’s just plain wrong.
And it makes my otherwise healthy blood pressure rise.
So, before I get too fired up again, I’m going to share this HEALTHY muffin recipe with you. It has zero grains, zero gluten, zero cane sugar, zero canola oil and zero dairy. Instead it’s filled with nutrient-dense almond flour, eggs, banana, raw honey, coconut oil (good fat!), zucchini, pecans and raisins.
Wholesome, nutritious, real food ingredients. That’s where health begins and is restored.
Pass this recipe along to someone you know who still thinks that gluten, sugar, canola oil and dairy are good for them.
Let’s do what we can to make a dent in the sad state of our society’s health.
Oh and PS these muffins taste awesome! It’s the perfect way to enjoy fresh-from-the-garden zucchini 🙂
- 1½ cups almond flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup grated zucchini, water squeezed out
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a muffin pan with coconut oil, or one large loaf pan.
- Combine the almond flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Combine the eggs, honey, vanilla, banana and oil in another bowl. Mix well and add the dry ingredients. Mix until fully combined
- Fold in the zucchini, raisins and pecans.
- Pour batter into muffin tins.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and set.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer out of muffin pan and cool on wire rack.