Real Healthy Coconut Flour Tortillas

Best gluten free tortilla recipe by realhealthyrecipes.com

Here’s a wholesome alternative to store bought tortillas.

Before converting my eating habits to the Real Healthy Recipes guidelines, I used to purchase a big bag of tortillas every time I went grocery shopping. And I felt pretty good about it too, since it was the whole wheat kind instead of the white ones. I’d roll up sliced turkey and cheese for B’s lunches and peanut butter and jelly for mine. I also liked to roll up scrambled eggs in tortillas for an on-the-way-to-work breakfast.

Since going grain and gluten free I’ve missed the convenience of those tortillas, and set out to make one with coconut flour.

A quick web search for coconut flour tortilla recipes brought up many variations of the same recipe that uses lots of egg whites. I tested that recipe, and while it was good, it wasn’t strong enough to hold together as a handheld wrap. These egg white tortillas have an egg-y consistency that didn’t taste right being made into an almond butter and berry wrap. I do think, however, that the egg-white version would be fantastic made into enchiladas, where the tortillas are stuffed with ground meat and doused with sauce. This I will be trying out soon!

Best egg white and coconut flour tortilla recipe by realhealthyrecipes.com

This version of coconut flour tortillas uses lots of egg whites.

I decided to add some flax meal and to leave in the egg yolks to create a tortilla that was stronger and less egg-y. After a few tries I came up with a version that works beautifully.

Coconut flour tortillas with flax meal by realhealthyrecipes.com

This version has flax meal and egg yolks, making it stronger.

There are endless possibilities on how to fill your tortilla wraps, but my favorite is with raw almond butter and fresh, organic black berries. To create your perfect wrap first choose a spread and then a filling. Here are a few ideas:

Spreads:

Fillings:

Real Healthy Coconut Flour Tortillas with Flax

1. Preheat a medium sized, non-stick skillet over medium low heat.
  2. Combine all of the ingredients in a high speed blender and mix until smooth.
  3. Coat the skillet with coconut oil. Pour ⅓ cup of batter into the skillet in a large tortilla shape. Allow to cook until set, then flip to brown the other side. Repeat with all of the batter — should make 12 tortillas.

Calories: 100     Fat: 9 g     Carbohydrates: 2 g     Sodium: 117 mg     Fiber: 1 g     Protein: 5 g

Coconut flour tortilla by realhealthyrecipes.com

Almond butter and organic black berries is my favorite combo!

Real Healthy Coconut Flour Tortillas- With Egg Whites

1. Preheat a medium sized, non-stick skillet over medium low heat.
  2. Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl. Allow to sit for 5 minutes, then mix again until lumps have disappeared.
  3. Coat the skillet with coconut oil. Pour ⅓ cup of batter into the skillet in a large tortilla shape. Allow to cook until set, then flip to brown the other side. Repeat with all of the batter — makes 6 tortillas.

Calories: 72     Fat: 1 g     Carbohydrates: 4 g     Sodium: 139 mg     Fiber: 3 g     Protein: 9 g

Best egg white and coconut flour tortilla recipe by realhealthyrecipes.com

These would be awesome for enchiladas.

Comments

• Sarah June 10, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Have you tried using lite coconut milk or is it important to use full fat to ensure the tortiallas stay together? Thanks! I love your website-such helpful helpful recipes!

• Diana June 10, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Hi Sarah,
      Thanks for the comment! Yes, it’s important to use the full fat coconut milk in order to keep the batter from getting too thin and breaking apart.
      Happy cooking :)
      Diana

• Chrissy June 18, 2013 at 8:45 pm

I had the same thoughts about most wrap recipes: too eggy. I’m looking forward to trying these on fajita night – one cannot live on lettuce wraps alone…

• Diana June 18, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Enjoy!

• Vivian November 11, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Is there a way to store this for use throughout the week or is it necessary to make them the day of the meal? Trying to find think I can make ahead for quick meals when needed. Thanks!

• Diana January 4, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Hi Vivian,
      Yes, you can certainly make these for the entire week. One note: put a piece of parchment paper between each tortilla as you stack them up to make it easier to pull them apart once they have been chilled in the fridge. Otherwise they want to stick together!

• Brittany January 16, 2014 at 10:51 pm

mine are turning out too thick like pancakes and are breaking. Any suggestions?

• Diana January 19, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Hi Brittany,
      Make sure that you let your batter stand for about 10minutes, to allow the flax to stick all the batter together. If the batter is too thick, make sure that you’ve added the full amount of coconut milk, and add a little more to reach a thinner consistency. Also, it’s important to blend these ingredients and not just mix them, to ensure that everything is the right consistency and sticks together. Enjoy!

• Adele February 18, 2014 at 1:12 pm

These were too soft – just broke apart when I tried to flip them.

• Diana February 18, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Hi Adele,
      Make sure to 1) Blend your batter so it’s very smooth and 2) allow the batter to sit for 10 minutes to thicken. Then, just like a pancake, don’t attempt to flip until the batter is fully set and cooked. Enjoy!

• Andrew Butzke December 16, 2014 at 10:09 pm

How long do they last in the fridge

• Diana December 18, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Hi Andrew,

The Coconut Tortillas will last in the fridge for 4 days. Happy Holidays and Happy Cooking!

• Maureen January 4, 2015 at 5:57 am

Have you tried freezing them? Hoping I can make a big batch and freeze some!

• Diana January 13, 2015 at 12:35 am

Hi Maureen,
      Yes, you can freeze, however be sure to place a piece of parchment paper between each tortilla to prevent them from sticking and then thaw in the fridge overnight or at room temp for an hour before pulling them apart. Enjoy!

• Kourtney January 15, 2015 at 10:56 pm

These tasted decent. Had the same problem as a lot of the other people that commented here. They fell apart. Maybe because I used ground flax instead of flax meal? Which seems to be finer. I dunno.

• Diana January 19, 2015 at 10:07 pm

Hi Kourtney,

To ensure that your coconut flour tortillas stick together and are sturdy enough to handle, follow these 4 steps:
      1. Blend the batter until smooth. And then blend a little more.
      2. Let the blended batter sit for 15 minutes to let the flax work its binding magic.
      3. Preheat your griddle or skillet on medium-high, then reduce to medium-low when you start to cook. As you are cooking the tortillas, don’t flip until they get golden brown. These aren’t pancakes, so realize that browning is much better than undercooking.
      4. As you cook the tortillas, stack with little pieces of parchment paper in between each tortilla. Let the stack sit out at room temperature for 30-40 minutes. For some reason this really helps make the tortillas sturdier. Not sure why, but it works!

• Joan April 21, 2015 at 2:14 pm

I am allergic to eggs….can these be made with an egg free substitute?

• Diana April 21, 2015 at 5:06 pm

Hi Joan,
      Eggs are an important part of this recipe, so I wouldn’t recommend looking for a substitute. Generally in baking a Tablespoon of flaxmeal mixed with 3 Tablespoons of water works as a sub for 1 egg, however since this is such a high concentration of eggs the flax may not properly to keep it all sticking together and having a pleasant consistency.

• Allie April 28, 2015 at 11:33 pm

Thank you for this recipe and all the helpful tips you gave in generously replying in the comments. This is going to be a staple in my family’s meals now. I’m feeling less stressed already about trying to keep this lifestyle going without resorting to junk. THANK YOU!

• Diana April 29, 2015 at 5:14 pm

You’re very welcome and enjoy! :)

• Brett Deutscher May 4, 2015 at 2:39 am

These came out great! I added about 1/2 tbls arrowroot and 1/2 tbls less of flax seed which I freshly ground finely myself-seemed to work well. I also let it sit for 10 min in the vitamix after blending, then blended again, and each time before I poured the batter in the pan. I did have to add a spoon or 2 more of coconut milk to keep it thin enough. Great recipe hacking, Diana! Thanks for your efforts!

• Maria May 6, 2015 at 10:39 pm

My experience making these for the first time was OK but I was not able to fill my batch and eat with hands, too fragile. The first couple were falling apart as they were cooking so I added a half tsp. of xanthum gum to better bind the batter. I also refrigerated the batter prior to cooking which may have affected the texture? The flavor was good. They were just more crepe like than tortilla like. They did hit the spot for a bread craving and I love the fact that they are 100% grain free. I will keep experimenting with this recipe. Thanks!

• Diana May 7, 2015 at 12:42 am

Thanks for sharing Maria. Enjoy :)

• Linda May 8, 2015 at 10:26 pm

Just made my first batch…a couple of hints. Don’t be in a rush when you make these…be patient. Your pan has to be hot enough so that the batter kind of bubbles up and make sure you’re getting little pin holes on top as the tortilla cooks. It’s important that the pin holes bubble up and pop in the center..then the tortilla will flip over nicely and be golden in color. I also made sure to blend up the batter a little as it sat so that the flax meal wouldn’t sink to the bottom. I also wiped out the pan every so often with a paper towel that had a little coconut oil on it to keep the pan clean. I cooked half the batch for tacos and then added a little stevia and a touch of vanilla and cooked the rest and used those for crepes for breakfast. Hope this helps!

• Diana May 11, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Hi Linda,
      Thanks for sharing and so glad that you enjoyed this recipe :)