Here’s a question for you…Would you survive longer on a diet of just water OR on a diet of water and refined sugar?
The surprising answer: You would survive longer on just water.
Does that boggle your mind? It boggled mine too.
This discovery was made by five sailors who were ship wrecked in 1793.
The ship happened to be filled with sugar, and so the marooned five consumed a diet of sugar and water. When they were rescued, nine days later, the men were in a wasted condition due to starvation.
French physiologist, Francois Magendie, heard this story and decided to conduct a series of experiments in which he fed dogs a diet of sugar.
All. Of. The. Dogs. Died.
Magendie proved that as a steady diet, refined sugar is WORSE than nothing.
How can sugar calories be worse than nothing? Simply put, refined sugar is an anti-nutrient.
Let me repeat that so it really sinks in….Sugar is an ANTI-NUTRIENT. The opposite of nutrition.
Refined sugar starts out as sugar cane, and then goes through an extensive refining process that destroys all of the enzymes, fiber, vitamins and minerals.
What you’re left with are empty, naked calories.
The problem is that your body needs the enzymes, fiber, vitamins and minerals that were taken out in the refining process in order to metabolize sugar and use it as energy. So it poaches those nutrients from your own body.
This means that while you are enjoying that piece of candy, sugar is draining vital nutrients from your body. And from your child’s body when they chow down on sugary stuff.
- Sugar creates false hunger, as a result of the insulin rush and then ensuing plummet in your blood sugar levels, which makes you overeat.
- Sugar promotes aging, due to the advanced glycation end products, or AGEs, that occur when insulin levels are consistently elevated as a result of eating too much sugar.
- Sugar weakens your bones –making you vulnerable for osteoporosis, and weakens your teeth—making you vulnerable for cavities, both due to the calcium being pulled from your bones and teeth in order for your body to process sugar.
- Sugar in excess is stored as fat, after your liver has no more room to store it, sugar is converted to fat and deposited on your belly, thighs, hips and the backs of your arms.
- Sugar can impair brain functioning, as a result of depleted B-vitamin production.
Sugar consumption contributes to the following: varicose veins, constipation, hormonal imbalances, ADD and ADHD, increased emotional instability, depressed immune system, increased risk of cancer and degenerative diseases.
Here’s a scary fact:The average modern person eats 46 teaspoons of sugar every day. This is roughly 175 pounds of sugar each year.
And it’s no wonder, since sugar industry is big business. Sugar is in nearly every processed food.
The Names For Processed Sugar
- High fructose corn syrup
- Organic sugar
Go through your home and you’ll see that sugar has been added to everything from ketchup and spaghetti sauce to crackers, oatmeal, peanut butter and even ‘healthy’ items like granola bars.
So where does this leave you?
You hold all the power over your own diet.
Your personal judgment determines the foods that you choose to eat and the foods that you choose to avoid.
It is my hope that you make the life-changing decision to eliminate sugar from your life.
Try these dessert recipes that have zero processed sugars.