You want to eat healthy.
You know exactly how much you should weigh.
You know your dream pant size.
You can even imagine how great those skinny jeans will look.
So why do you self-sabotage?
There are many complex reasons that make eating healthy a challenge, reasons that go deeper than simply calories-in versus calories-out. I’m talking about life issues that get in the way of your success.
Read the following 5 obstacles and the solutions to unlock your motivation.
1. You do not want to be bothered. It’s in our DNA to avoid pain and seek out pleasure. Unfortunately this works against you when trying to make healthy eating changes. In your mind, it’s painful (or at least uncomfortable) to deny yourself the tasty food that you crave and to learn how to make healthy recipes at home.
Here’s a simple way to work around this obstacle: Find something painful about being out-of-shape to motivate yourself towards healthy eating. Focus on the negative impact your current eating habits have on your health, self-esteem and lifestyle. Remind yourself that the pain of being out-of-shape is much greater than the discomfort of learning a truly healthy way of eating.
2. You do not want to wait for the good stuff. Just as you wish to avoid pain, you are also an expert in seeking out pleasure – namely junk food. This served the cavemen well, but he didn’t have fast food to turn to. These days it ends up as extra pounds around your waist and thighs.
There’s good news: unhealthy calories are not your only option to stimulate the pleasure center of your brain. Find an activity or two that make you smile and indulge in those regularly. Also learn a few healthy recipes that taste as good as the unhealthy version and enjoy those.
- Take walk or jog outside.
- Enjoy a good book.
- Treat yourself to a night out to the movies or theater — just skip the popcorn and soda pop.
- Spend a day at the spa.
- Try these healthy recipes: Caveman BLT, Healthy Fried Chicken, Brownies, Comfort Soup, Apple pie
You can also retrain your brain to crave the pleasure of exercise-induced endorphins, rather than junk-food-induced endorphins. My favorite place to workout is Fit Body Bootcamp. Talk about weight gain kryptonite!
3. You are insanely busy. Let’s face it, you work too much, commit yourself to too much and you don’t even get enough sleep most of the time. The fast-paced way you live leaves you exhausted, stressed out and hungry for convenient comfort food. You feel too busy to take care of your health. It’s time to change your priorities.
Let go of your perfectionist standards and remove a few commitments from your schedule so that you are able to cook healthy meals, exercise and get a decent night’s sleep. Remind yourself that taking care of your body is not a luxury – it’s a necessity.
4. You don’t believe you deserve it. I don’t agree with it, but you sure act like you don’t deserve to live the good life in the stunning body of your dreams. Take a moment to think back on all the times you have self-sabotaged your healthy eating efforts. If you don’t believe deep down that you are worth it, then you’ll never give yourself a chance at a fit body.
I believe that you deserve to have a healthy body – and I urge you to dig deep down to uncover why you don’t agree. Once you conquer your feelings of unworthiness, adopting a healthy eating plan will be easy. Take the time to take care of yourself and your family. You DO deserve it.
5. You are scared. You’re scared to start because you just might fail and wouldn’t that be embarrassing? You’re also afraid to start because you just might succeed, and big change makes you uncomfortable – even if it’s positive change. When you decide to get fit you will need to go through many changes:
- New healthy diet
- New healthy recipes
- New exercise routine
- New friends at bootcamp
- New clothes
- New self-image
Focus on all of the ways that healthy eating will make your life better. Picture that better life everyday so that it goes from being new and scary to familiar and comfortable.
Do you use healthy ingredients in your kitchen? Click here to create Your Real Healthy Kitchen.