Caramel Cream Topping

A dollop of yummy

I try to be a cool mom. I really do.

I buy the toothbrushes shaped like Disney characters. I hand out fruit flavored gummy vitamins. I even pack cookies in their lunches.

But when I tried to disguise plain Greek yogurt as whipped cream that was a losing battle.

Forget whipped cream or ice cream — it’s all about the caramel cream!

Until now.

I stumbled upon the perfect recipe for turning plain Greek yogurt into a tasty, dessert-like topping that the kids completely love! And best of all it’s low glycemic and filled with vitamins, minerals and protein.

Use Caramel Cream Topping on desserts, pancakes, or (my favorite way) by the spoonful.

Here’s what you need for 36 (1Tablespoon) servings:

Caramel Cream Topping

• 1½ cups non fat, plain Greek yogurt
  • ½ cup coconut palm sugar

1. In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup of the yogurt with the coconut palm sugar. Mix well, however there will be some balls of coconut crystals.
  2. Place in the fridge for 10 minutes.
  3. Remove from fridge, mix again. The coconut balls will disappear.
  4. Add the remaining ½ cup of yogurt to the mixture. Mix well.
  5. Serve immediately or chill until you’re ready to use.

Calories: 12     Fat: 0 g     Carbohydrates: 2 g     Sodium: 6.2 mg     Fiber: 0 g     Protein: 1 g

Comments

• Real Healthy Berry C September 13, 2012 at 6:22 am

[…] Carmel Cream topping […]

• Kimberly January 4, 2013 at 3:10 pm

We’re on a very tight budget…. Everywhere I look these coconut crystals are very expensive…. $8 for just 12 oz …. Do you get it cheaper?where? If not… Can I substitute with anything?

• Diana January 8, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Hi Kimberly,
      $8 per 12oz is the cheapest that I’ve found. Quality ingredients do cost more than traditional ones. For a substitute you could use raw honey as a sweetener — this is higher in carbs so use sparingly.

• Rita May 10, 2014 at 3:38 pm

I have done this with Greek yoghurt and Yacon Syrup. Delicious! You don’t have to wait for the crystals to dissolve 🙂
    I love Caramel, it’s one of the reasons I have problems staying away from sugar.
    I will be trying some of your recipes.
    Thank you.

• Diana May 10, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Hi Rita,

Great idea with the Yacon Syrup! Thanks for sharing 🙂

• Eden August 23, 2015 at 4:02 pm

Do you think that you could use this to dip apples in?

• Diana August 24, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Hi Eden,

I haven’t tried it but I am sure you can. Let me know what you think! Happy Cooking!