Summer has officially gotten to me.
With the sun out, the pool cover off and my shaded patio beckoning…well let’s just say that the oven has been getting a well-deserved break.
Last Thursday I played hooky from work and went with friends to the last day of taping for Bethenny Frankel’s talk show. It was fun to see behind-the-scenes but I discovered that I am not an ideal audience member. All that sitting and clapping was driving me crazy — I think my husband’s ADD has rubbed off on me 🙂
The cooking segment was my favorite part. A guy from Top Chef came out and made ice cream using a tank of liquid nitrogen — instant ice cream! Wonder what a girl’s got to do to get a tank of liquid nitrogen in her kitchen?
This mango chutney covered chicken salad is perfect for a summer dinner — no oven required!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger root, minced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 ripe mangoes, chopped
- Juice from 2 limes
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash of nutmeg
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ cups non-fat, plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Dash of salt and pepper
- 3 cups cooked chicken breast, chopped
- 4 cups salad greens
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger root and sauté for a minute.
- Add the onion and bell peppers and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the mango and spices. Continue to sauté for another 5 minutes, until everything has softened.
- Turn the heat down to low, cover and simmer for another 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Chill for 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Combine the yogurt, mustard, salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Place the chopped chicken in a medium sized bowl and mix in the yogurt blend.
- Prepare each plate with a pile of greens topped with a scoop of chicken and a spoonful of chutney.
Here’s another yummy way to serve Mango Chutney: