Getting two good things for the price of one is always a great thing.
Just ask my cousins Lars and Bryn. That’s a picture of them with their brand new adorable twins Reese (my goddaughter!) and Gavan.
Yesterday I spent a couple of hours with the little sweetie pies and had my heart stolen away. It’s amazing just how tiny and delicate and perfect they are!
When it came to making a casserole to bring to the newly expanded family, I couldn’t decided between Real Healthy Eggplant Parmesan and Best Spaghetti Squash Casserole. So, inspired by the concept of 2 for 1, Real Healthy Lasagna was born.
This recipe takes layers of spaghetti squash casserole and combines it with layers of eggplant Parmesan.
What you end up with is a casserole that feels a whole lot like lasagna without those pesky carb-filled noodles.
- 2 medium, organic eggplants
- 1½ cup blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 Tablespoon flax meal
- 2 omega-3, free range eggs
- 2 Tablespoons filtered water
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- ⅓ cup basil leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 jar organic spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups organic spaghetti sauce
- 2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Slice the eggplant into slices no larger than ¼ inch.
- In a medium bowl combine the almond flour, salt, basil and flax. In another medium bowl whisk the eggs and water. Dip each slice of eggplant in the egg mixture and then coat each side with the almond flour mixture.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Coat with the olive oil. Saute the eggplant slices until tender and golden, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half. Scoop out the seeds. Splash inside of squash with water, then microwave each half individually for 5 minutes. Careful when removing from microwave — it will be hot. Set aside to cool.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic. After a few minutes add onion. After a few minutes add zucchini. Finally add tomatoes, basil and oregano and cook for another 5 minutes, until everything is tender.
- Scoop out the spaghetti squash and place in a large mixing bowl. Add the veggies from skillet. Pour the entire jar of spaghetti squash into the bowl and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a 13×9 baking pan spread ½ cup of spaghetti sauce evenly over the bottom. Spoon ½ of the spaghetti squash casserole into the pan and spread out evenly. Sprinkle with ½ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Cover the spaghetti squash layer with ½ of the prepared eggplant slices. Cover with ½ cup of mozzarella cheese and then with ½ cup of spaghetti sauce.
- Cover with the remaining spaghetti squash, ½ cup of mozzarella, ½ cup of spaghetti sauce.
- Cover with the remaining eggplant slices, ½ cup of mozzarella, ½ cup of spaghetti sauce and the Parmesan.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until golden and bubbly.
Did you try this recipe? Share how you liked it below…