Hello and welcome to Real Healthy Recipes!
My name is Diana Keuilian — mommy to Andrew, 9, Chloe, 7, and wife of Bedros Keuilian. My knack for creating wholesome versions of your favorite comfort food recipes like cake, tacos, cookies, waffles, enchiladas and more by removing the gluten, dairy, soy, grains and cane sugar has earned me the title of The Recipe Hacker!
Check out my published cookbook The Recipe Hacker on Amazon.com or at your local bookstore.
Food, to me, is so much more than just fuel. Food is pleasure, food is fun, food is creativity and making nutritious, delicious food for friends and family is an expression of love.
Both of my parents make delicious food, and instilled in me a passion for cooking and baking early on. It wasn’t until 2008, as the mother of a baby and a toddler, that I discovered my passion for nutrition. The responsibility of deciding what to feed my kids propelled me to read dozens of books on nutrition and diet.
There are so many schools of thought when it comes to diet that it can be difficult to know what to believe.
I’ve done my share of dabbling…
- Childhood: Until I was 12 years old I gave no thought whatsoever to what I should or shouldn’t eat.
- 12 to 24: I gave up meat and went through a fat-phobic phase. T. Colin Campbell would have classified me as a ‘junk food vegetarian’. Boy did I love sugar!
- 24 to 27: I added fish to my otherwise lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet when I became pregnant with Andrew.
- 27 to 28: After reading The China Study and Skinny Bitch I went full-blown vegan, no processed foods or sugar.
- 28 to 29: Went raw vegan for a spell and then jumped on the macrobiotic bandwagon. In my 2 macrobiotic months I gained 8 pounds.
- 29 to present: I found a Real Healthy way of eating that works for me.
The Real Healthy Recipes Eating Guidelines:
- Enjoy Unlimited Veggies, Egg, Lean Meat and Fish
- Enjoy Limited Fruit
- Enjoy Limited Nuts
- Eat No Dairy
- Eat No Grain
- Eat No Legumes Or Soy
- Eat No Potato
- Eat No Sugar
This is NOT a diet.
It’s simply a guideline to use when selecting everyday meals.
By following these guidelines 90% of the time, I’m able to live life at my ideal weight and in good health. I’m able to enjoy real wholesome food made with quality ingredients that nourish and satisfy.
The Real Healthy Recipes that I share in this blog are my creations using the 8 guidelines.
It’s my hope that my food journey will inspire one of your own.