How Real Healthy Recipes Came To Be

Diana Keuilian realhealthyrecipes.com

Hello and welcome to Real Healthy Recipes!

My name is Diana Keuilian — mommy to Andrew, 9, Chloe, 7, and wife of Bedros Keuilian. My knack for creating wholesome versions of your favorite comfort food recipes like cake, tacos, cookies, waffles, enchiladas and more by removing the gluten, dairy, soy, grains and cane sugar has earned me the title of The Recipe Hacker!

Check out my published cookbook The Recipe Hacker on Amazon.com or at your local bookstore.

I once heard someone say that for them food is strictly fuel, and nothing more. Diana Keuilian realhealthyrecipes.com

I disagree.

Food, to me, is so much more than just fuel. Food is pleasure, food is fun, food is creativity and making nutritious, delicious food for friends and family is an expression of love.

Both of my parents make delicious food, and instilled in me a passion for cooking and baking early on. It wasn’t until 2008, as the mother of a baby and a toddler, that I discovered my passion for nutrition. The responsibility of deciding what to feed my kids propelled me to read dozens of books on nutrition and diet.

There are so many schools of thought when it comes to diet that it can be difficult to know what to believe.

I’ve done my share of dabbling…

• Childhood: Until I was 12 years old I gave no thought whatsoever to what I should or shouldn’t eat.
  • 12 to 24: I gave up meat and went through a fat-phobic phase. T. Colin Campbell would have classified me as a ‘junk food vegetarian’. Boy did I love sugar!
  • 24 to 27: I added fish to my otherwise lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet when I became pregnant with Andrew.
  • 27 to 28: After reading The China Study and Skinny Bitch I went full-blown vegan, no processed foods or sugar.
  • 28 to 29: Went raw vegan for a spell and then jumped on the macrobiotic bandwagon. In my 2 macrobiotic months I gained 8 pounds.
  • 29 to present: I found a Real Healthy way of eating that works for me.

Making healthy food fun!

The Real Healthy Recipes Eating Guidelines:

1. Enjoy Unlimited Veggies, Egg, Lean Meat and Fish
  2. Enjoy Limited Fruit
  3. Enjoy Limited Nuts
  4. Eat No Dairy
  5. Eat No Grain
  6. Eat No Legumes Or Soy
  7. Eat No Potato
  8. Eat No Sugar

This is NOT a diet.

It’s simply a guideline to use when selecting everyday meals.

By following these guidelines 90% of the time, I’m able to live life at my ideal weight and in good health. I’m able to enjoy real wholesome food made with quality ingredients that nourish and satisfy.

The Real Healthy Recipes that I share in this blog are my creations using the 8 guidelines.

It’s my hope that my food journey will inspire one of your own.

Comments

• Greg January 8, 2012 at 4:08 am

Greg site Diana – I’ve book marked this and intend to start working my way through your recipes. :-)

• Diana January 8, 2012 at 5:13 am

Thanks Greg!

• cara January 11, 2012 at 3:04 am

I Love this ..But I LOVE you even more!! Thanks for sharing your passion for healthy cooking with the world.

• Diana January 11, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Thanks Cara! And thanks for always inspiring me :)

• Real Healthy Poached January 29, 2012 at 8:08 pm

[...] About Diana [...]

• James February 12, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Thanks!!

• Corinna February 22, 2012 at 4:22 am

Hi Diana,

Thanks so much for sharing about yourself… you have a beautiful family and I’m learning lots from Bedros’ products.

I was surprised to read that you eat NO grains or legumes. Why is this?

I have recently switched to only eating quinoa, brown rice, and wholewheat flour when I’m baking. I still don’t eat too many grains, but must use them as my husband just wouldn’t be full without them at dinner. :)

Thanks again, and I look forward to reading more of your website.

~Corinna

• Diana February 23, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Hi Corinna,

Thanks for the feedback :)

I’ve cut grains and legumes from my diet after much research. Most people don’t realize that grains are an irritant to the digestive system. In addition, both legumes and grains are filled with more carbohydrates than most of us really need in our diet.

Most of all I just feel better when I don’t eat legumes and grains.

I stick with the Real Healthy Recipes Eating Guidelines 90% of the time, but do make exceptions for special occasions :)

• Lisa April 16, 2012 at 2:00 am

Hi Diana!!
    This is very similar to my diet. Gluten free and dont usually eat processed foods. I love the muffin recipe!! Looks deliscious! I can’t wait to try all your recipes!!

• Diana April 17, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Thanks Lisa!

• Amber August 29, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I’ve discovered I’m carb & sugar intolerant and had to change my diet. Protein and veggies alone got boring quickly. I’m so glad I found your website. You’re recipes are perfect for my intolerance, they’re delicious, and so easy to make! I’ve been on Bedros’ list and didn’t catch your relation at first. I wish you both the best and thank you for sharing your expertise!

• Diana August 29, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Hi Amber! Thanks so much for the feedback :)

• Karen September 27, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Hi, I was wondering, why legumes and soy are on the “do not eat” list? I was under the impression that lentils were healthy!

I too am fed up with the processed foods. My husband and I used to make the bagged frozen foods every night when we first lived together, but then we made a change, and now we make all our meals with whole ingredients. We felt more energized and overrall, “healthier”. Now we have become foodies ut that is a topic for another day.

• Diana September 27, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Hi Karen,

Thanks for your feedback ☺

Legumes and soy are known to cause gastrointestinal distress, and most are even poisonous if eaten raw. Beans are high in lectins – proteins that bind carbohydrates, and are known to be inflammatory and toxic –protease inhibitors, and phytates. These are linked to auto-immune diseases, inhibition of the absorption of minerals like calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc, and interference with the breakdown of proteins into amino acids.

I wouldn’t worry too much if you only eat them occasionally, but there is enough cause for concern to actively avoid eating them.

That’s great that you and your husband have turned to whole foods!

I’m always noticing how much better and more flavorful whole foods are than processed ones. Just another reason, on top of all the health benefits, for us to enjoy whole foods!

• Benjamin Campbell December 6, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Hi I am a fan of your recipes and often read emails I recieve from Bedros.

I am a Personal Trainer and would like to know if it’s ok to put your website on to a group email that will be sent out to my clients.
    Is their anything you’d like me to put into the email?

Thanks

Ben

• Diana December 6, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Hi Ben,

Absolutely! Feel free to share my site with your clients.

Here’s an idea of what to say…

I wanted to share a resource with you today that I
      recently discovered.

I’m always looking for easy to prepare recipes for
      my clients to make at home – and the site I found
      pumps out several tasty recipes each week that
      are easy to prepare and really good for you.

It’s called Real Healthy Recipes, here’s the link
      to it: http://RealHealthyRecipes.com

Thanks again, Ben, and hope to see you at Fitness Business Summit this March.

• pete smith December 26, 2012 at 9:36 am

On your home page, next to your list of 8 guidelines for healthy eating, you have a photo of 2 servings of Making Healthy Food Fun – Healthy Food for Kids, on Mickey Mouse shaped plates. There are blueberrys and chopped avocadoes in side dishes [Mickey's ears], but what is the main meal?

• Diana December 26, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Hi Pete,
      It’s quinoa, green beans and chopped chicken breast :)

• rochelle May 21, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Hello, we are new to buying all these ingredients. I am try to mske your real healthy granola bars….please guide me to the right place to find all the ingredients needed. Thanks

Rochelle Wert

• Anna August 21, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Thanks a lot for the delicious recipes!

• Lynn December 11, 2013 at 2:18 pm

I noticed that a lot of your dessert recipes call for coconut crystals, is there anything else that is healthy to sub the crystals?

• Diana December 12, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Hi Lynn,

For other wholesome sweeteners try raw honey, pure maple syrup or coconut nectar. Also you could use Stevia or yacon syrup.

• How to Make Paleo To January 2, 2014 at 11:28 pm

[...] About Diana [...]

• Debbie January 27, 2014 at 2:34 am

Hi Diana,
    Just found your interesting website. Can’t wait to try some of these recipes. I have just started a Mediterranean diet through my doctor. What are your thoughts knowing that this diet includes legumes.
    Thank-you

• Diana January 27, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Hi Debbie,
      Thanks for the feedback. My thoughts on the Mediterranean diet: it’s filled with whole, unprocessed foods, which is fantastic. If your choice was to eat the Mediterranean diet or the Standard American Diet, hands down the Mediterranean diet is healthier. Than being said, I prefer my method for eating whole foods while avoiding grains, legumes and dairy as this way of eating makes me feel healthier and keeps me at my ideal weight. Hope that helps and good luck with your food journey :)

• Erinn February 19, 2014 at 9:34 pm

I love your recipes! The money I spent on your ebooks was well spent! I love the variety of recipes and the way you have adapted recipes to substitute for old favorites like pancakes and other kid-friendly foods.
    Thank you!

• Diana February 19, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Thanks Erinn! Glad you are enjoying my recipes :)

• Nancy March 21, 2014 at 11:12 pm

I love your recipes. I received your e-mail, I don’t know how to post a picture. I’m 74 and not computer smart. I have completely changed my eating habit now for over 2 months and lost 16 lbs.I thought I was eating healthy most of my life, grains, oatmeal, legumes, etc, and now realize they don’t agree with me. Right now I live in the Philippines and can’t get a lot of foods that I should, but I do pretty good with what is available. I can’t wait to try your crock pot beef ribs. I can get organic beef but limit it to twice a week. I will continue to use your recipe’s on your web sight. thank you again.

• Diana March 28, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Thanks so much for the feedback, Nancy! Enjoy :)

• Glenn March 28, 2014 at 6:18 am

Hi, Diana — First, thank you for sharing so much! I’m especially looking forward to trying recipes for the things I thought I’d have to give up, like donuts. :-P

Quick correction: in the Top 27 Recipes pdf (thank you again!), the bean-less chili recipe (page 24) is entitled “Gluten and Dairy-Free Pizza” (same as the actual pizza on page 22). Just so you know….

• Diana March 28, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Hi Glenn,
      Thanks so much for the feedback and for the heads up about the typo — it’s been corrected so feel free to download the updated version :) Enjoy!

• Peter Cloutier March 30, 2014 at 9:16 am

Dear Diana,
    I love the idea of your Paleo Donut recipe but I don’t like chocolate (yes, it happens – even stranger: I live in Switzerland). But, I love maple syrup and I love cinnamon. Can you suggest how I might adapt the glaze portion of your recipe for each of those flavors?

• Diana March 31, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Hi Peter,
      Thanks for sharing, I’ll try not to hold it against you that you don’t like chocolate :) Here’s a donut recipe that uses both maple syrup and cinnamon. It’s for donut holes, but you could just as easily turn these into full sized donuts. Enjoy! http://realhealthyrecipes.com/2013/12/06/apple-cider-donut-holes/

• Tracyleigh April 5, 2014 at 5:35 pm

am fast becoming a fan! Thanks for all your hard work….was wondering if you had any success or reports of dabbling with bread maker to make any of your bread recipes….thank you!

• Sherri May 5, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Hi Diana,
    I’d like to speak with you about a cooking video opportunity with The Gabriel Method. We love your stuff! I’ve included my email in the reply form, would you kindly get in touch with me? Thanks a lot!
    Sherri, The Gabriel Method

• Christina@A Soulful May 21, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Hi Diana, I’m so excited I found your blog through Youtube. I’m currently I’, currently 3 weeks into a grain free diet. I’m allergic to most grains, nuts, some veggies and fruits. :( I was interested in why you don’t eat potatoes, and are sweet potatoes included? Thanks in advance! Christina :)

• Diana May 21, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Hi Christina,
      Thanks so much for sharing! I do include limited sweet potatoes in my recipes, however white potatoes are out since they are just so high in carbs and spike blood sugar. Good luck with your real food journey — hope that you find some recipes you can use here :)

• Pam June 3, 2014 at 5:42 am

Hi Diana,

I just ordered your set of books that were linked to Beyond Diet. When a recipe calls for 1/2 cup coconut oil, is the measurement in liquid form or solid form? Thanks!

• Diana June 3, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Hi Pam,
      Thanks for purchasing my books! I measure coconut oil when liquid. Enjoy :)

• Krystal Kelly June 18, 2014 at 2:58 pm

In your recipes nutritional info is the carbs before or after fiber subtraction?

• Diana June 18, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Hi Krystal,
      Before fiber subtraction.

• Lily Miranda October 14, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Hello Diana,

I’ so glad I found this website. I just realised how grains are so bad for you and not necessary. I just started trying your recipes and so far they have come out so good. I love cookies and bread. I tried the coconut cookies dipped in chocolate and the bread made with almond flour. Just yummy!
    I will definitely be trying out some more.

• Diana October 16, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Hi Lily,
      Thanks so much for sharing — I’m glad you’re enjoying my site :)

• Andrea Leda Wilborn November 12, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Diana,

It was great to hear you speak this past weekend at the Info Marketing Summit. Your tips were awesome but what I loved most was coming away feeling inspired that whatever passion we have within us is worth sharing. That the world needs to hear our thoughts and learn from our experiences. Thank you for braving the stage – you were a natural! xoxo, Andrea Leda

• Diana December 10, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Thank you so much Andrea! It was pretty scary to get up in front of 250 people, but after getting warmed up I really had a great time :) Yes, the world does need us to share our passion, especially when it’s something that others will greatly benefit from. Best of luck in your endeavors! xo

• Michelle November 24, 2014 at 2:13 am

Hi Diana – Your recipes sound great! I wish I had a week off to make them all! So just one question. I have read and heard a lot about proper food combining from the naturalpath industry. They say you are to eat fruit alone, especially melons. They say they digest too fast and then will ferment while the other items are digesting. What do you think about this theory? Thanks!

• Diana December 11, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Hi Michelle,
      I’m much more focused on changing what we eat from processed junk to real, wholesome foods. I don’t think worrying about food combining is the first order of importance and can get really confusing and discouraging for people. That’s not to say that there isn’t potential value in food combining, just to say that it’s neither my passion or my focus.

• Glenn December 4, 2014 at 12:42 am

Hi, Diana –

First, THANK YOU for sharing all of your hard work about eating healthy! Those brownies are the stuff of legend!!

Quick note regarding your new book: There’s a small error in the recipe for Quinoa Burgers (pages 94-95). The quick tip says: “Quick Tip: If you are inclined to eat beans, then the cauliflower can be subbed out for 1 cup cooked black beans. Blend 1⁄2 cup beans in step 11 and then mix the remaining 1⁄2 cup in whole.”

Trouble is, there IS no step 11! Nor a 10, 9, or 8! (They don’t appear to be missing per se; they’re just not needed, so there is none.) Since the cauliflower is incorporated in step 4, I assume that’s where the beans should be used.

• Diana December 10, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Hi Glenn,
      Great catch, it should say “blend 1/2 cup beans in step SIX”!! I originally wrote the book to include step-by-step photos for each recipe (yes, about 1200 photos total!) and then we changed it in editing to give that finished photo more page space. So, alas, there are a couple of spots where the text editing wasn’t updated. Good news is that the next print run will have it updated :) Thanks again and enjoy!

• anne December 4, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Hi Diana you have your newest cook book out allowing us to get access to it before going to print Dec. 9 however the link does not work for me. I have had four other people to try for me and still not working. Would you be so kind as to send me the link directly please and thank you! I love your recipies-your always so informative! Anne

• Diana December 10, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Hi Anne,

Please reach out to my assistant, Kristen, at RealHealthyRecipes@gmail.com, and she will assist you with getting a copy of The Recipe Hacker. Enjoy :)

• Phillippa Ebeling December 5, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Hello Diana..thank you for the wonderful recipes that you have blessed us with on Facebook…my only question which i hope you can answer is that i received an email telling me about your new book which is to be released on the 9th December, “The Recipe Hacker”…For a paperback copy i had to pay $7.58 (Australian) to have it posted to Australia. I paid this but then got a message after i had already paid it (with still two days to go) to say that the money was now taken from my account for an ebook copy which is not what i have paid for. I was upset as i was so looking forward to this lovely paperback book as i paid the money for paperback book and not for an ebook because that is what was advertised and what I was expecting. I also don’t have unlimited time on a computer to read the book. Im just wondering if you could please explain this. Thank you for your time and kindness in answering. Thank you from australia and kind regards, Phillippa :)

• Diana December 10, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Hi Phillippa,

Please reach out to my assistant, Kristen, at realhealthyrecipes@gmail.com, and she will work with you on your purchase. Thanks!

• Phillippa Ebeling December 12, 2014 at 5:22 am

Thank you SO much Diana for your kindness..I will contact Kristen.Thanks,from Phillippa.

• Bev Higgins December 5, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Hi Diane ,I purchased theFamily Friendly Fat Burning Meals and didnt realize that it was done through ebooks so have lost the link.My order # isCCG3QS2E .If you can send me the link i would be really happy. Thanks Bev Higgins

• Diana December 10, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Hi Bev,
      I just sent your request to Kristen, my assistant extraordinaire, and she will send you that link right to your email. Any time you have a question about purchase it’s best to email us at realhealthyrecipes@gmail.com rather than on facebook, as we will see it and respond quicker! Thanks :)

• Lindsay December 12, 2014 at 4:43 am

I’m so glad I got your Recipe Hacker cookbook. All the recipes look delicious and simple!

• Mary Jane December 13, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Hi Diane.
    I just receive a few of your cookbooks and they sound great. I’m excited to start! Do you have any suggestions for substitutes for corn, bananas and pineapples. I am allergic to them. In limited quantities I can eat bananas and pineapple when they are cooked, but I shouldn’t handle them when they are raw. Thank you!

• Diana December 18, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Hi Mary Jane,

If you could send me a specific recipe I will look it over and try to make some substitutions for you. Happy Holidays!

• KC Coburn December 15, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Hello Diana,

I just spent 30 minutes on Amazon trying to find a way to contact you – I would really like to purchase your book and am happy to pay the Kindle rate, but I’m wondering if you make it available as a PDF? A paperback is hard to use in the kitchen, and I prefer not to have to use Amazon’s Kindle app (I don’t have a Kindle) to view it, but I will if I have to. I love your recipes!

• Diana December 18, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Hi KC,

If you purchase the Kindle Version and send me the receipt at realhealthyrecipes@gmail.com I will be able to send you the PDF version of The Recipe Hacker. I hope you have a great Holiday Season and Happy Cooking!