Quinoa is an amazing addition to any recipe, these muffins being a prime example. Cranberry is the predominate flavor with lemon, almond and cinnamon adding to the chorus.
I went searching for guinea pigs to try this recipe out, and ended up at the FitBody Bootcamp Head Quarters in Chino Hills. Bedros and the HQ staff were kind enough to try the muffins and give their stamp of approval :0) BTW Bedros is a fitness marketing expert and teaches trainers how to sell personal training.
- 1 cup unsweetened rice milk
- 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- ¼ cup safflower oil
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- Zest from 1 small lemon
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup ground almonds
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1¼ cups cooked quinoa
- ½ cup finely chopped dried cranberries
- ¼ cup organic turbinado raw cane sugar
- Preheat oven to 370 degrees F. Place 12 muffins liners in muffin pan and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the rice milk, flaxseed, oil, maple syrup, vanilla, almond and lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, ground almond, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and cardamom. Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ones and fold in the cooked quinoa and chopped cranberries.
- Use an ice cream scooper to fill each muffin liner ¾ full. Sprinkle the turbinado raw cane sugar on top of each muffin. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden.
Did you try this recipe? Share how you liked it below…