Who doesn’t love freshly prepared tomato and basil bruschetta? While traditional recipes call for white bread, this recipe uses whole grain bread, making it healthier and even more delicious.
Whole Grain Bruschetta
- 5 medium organic tomatoes
- dash of freshly ground sea salt
- dash of freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1½ teaspoons dried basil
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 12-inch whole grain baguette
- Olive oil
- ⅓ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Chop the tomatoes and place in a medium sized bowl.
- Add the salt, pepper, oregano, dried basil and vinegar to the bowl and mix well. Transfer to a mesh strainer and set it over a bowl for 12-15 minutes to drain off excess water.
- Slice the baguette into ½ inch thick rounds. Lightly grease a baking sheet with olive oil.
- Arrange the bread on the baking sheet. Brush a touch of olive oil over each slice. Bake until lightly golden, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the oven and allow it to cool for 5 minutes, then arrange on your serving platter. Top each slice with a spoonful of the tomato mixture and sprinkle with the fresh basil leaves.
Calories: 73 Fat: 1 g Carbohydrates: 14 g Sodium: 151 mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 3g
Did you try this recipe? Share how you liked it below…