Imagine a cross between cornbread and lemon bars…that’s what these vegan waffles taste like! Top them with strawberries for a delicious summer breakfast.
- 1¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 Tablespoons oat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- 1 flax egg (mix 1 Tablespoon flax meal with 3 Tablespoons water, set aside for a couple of minutes)
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 cups rice milk
- ¼ cup soy yogurt (plain, vanilla or lemon flavor are work best)
- Zest and juice from 2 lemons
- ¼ cup coconut palm sugar
- Preheat waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- In a medium bowl mix the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cornmeal. In a smaller bowl mix the flax egg, oil, rice milk, soy yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest and coconut palm sugar.
- Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients, mix in the wet until just combined.
- Prepare waffles according to the manufacturer’s directions. Serve with fresh sliced strawberries and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Did you try this recipe? Share how you liked it below…