My mom makes her famous party rolls each year on Thanksgiving and Christmas, an event that the whole family looks forward to. The rolls are soft, slightly sweet and buttery. This year I took the beloved recipe gave it a vegetarian make-over by removing the animal products and replacing white flour with whole wheat. The new healthier version was a hit! Give it a try…
- ½ cup Earth Balance, nonhydrogenated vegan margarine
- 1 cup coconut palm sugar
- ½ cup Earth Balance, nonhydrogenated shortening
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 packets of yeast
- 3 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer plus 4 Tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup cold water
- 6 cups stone ground whole wheat flour plus extra flour for shaping of rolls
- Place the margarine, coconut palm sugar, shortening and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the boiling water and mix until everything dissolves. Let the mixture cool.
- Add the yeast packets, mix.
- In a small bowl or cup mix the Ener-G Egg Replacer with 4 Tablespoons of warm water. Add to the yeast mixture, mix to combine.
- Add the cup of cold water. Add the 6 cups of whole wheat flour in small batches, until well combined.
- Cover the dough and place in the fridge overnight, or for a minimum of 4 hrs.
Did you try this recipe? Share how you liked it below…